X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Open Letter to Jeep

Saturday, February 28, 2009

An Open Letter to Jeep

In Order to qualify myself as a loyal Jeep customer, I would like to give you a little background. I have personally owned 3 Jeep Wranglers. I first fell in love with the brand as a child when my Uncle bought a Jeep in the 1970’s. It was a Dark Brown Golden Eagle “Levi’s edition”. From that summer on, I planned one day to have my own Jeep. Later on I watched my father-in-law restore a Jeep, that was his fathers Jeep. It was a classic 1950’s Jeep and he lovingly restored it piece by piece. My current Jeep is a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited.

Over the years, Jeep to me and many other people has become an American icon of what is right with America. Through good times and bad the Jeep name has survived. Even though it was assembled in Ontario, Canada for several years, it still shines through as an American tradition. When I bought my 2007, I was glad to her that once again the Jeep had returned to production in Toledo Ohio, which is widely regarded as its home.

I have always maintained my own vehicles, and my new Jeep is no exception. Yesterday, while rotating the tires on my 2007 Wrangler, I decided to do a little extra cleaning. As I cleaned the brake dust off the inside of the wheels, I found something that has angered me greatly. On the aluminum casting of the wheels, under the dust along with the Chrysler Pentastar Logo was the stamp: “MADE IN VENEZUELA”

I feel no need to go into South American history, global politics, or the resume of Hugo Chavez. Quite simply this is plain wrong.

You have taken something that is uniquely American and betrayed the trust of Jeep loyal customers by patronizing a country that has nothing but contempt for the United States. As we all grow older there are few things that we can believe in – I have just lost Jeep as one of those few things.

Adding more to my outrage, Chrysler Corporation has received bailout money from my tax dollars and plans to come back for more. I wonder how many tax payers, Senators and Congressmen are aware that some of this money will end up in Venezuela? If it is up to me, I say NO MORE!

I welcome your response to this letter. I would like to hear your argument on why I should spend my hard earned money to by my next new vehicle from Jeep – if the unlikely event occurs where I would consider doing this again.

David W. McLees
    xxxx xxxxx xxxx xxxxx
    Loganville, GA xxxxx
    (xxx) xxx xxxx

wow, good for the Venezuelans... finally they are doing some more than fill your gas tank!!!
    every time that you fill at Citgo, guess what?

Furthermore, when we ordered our Poison Spider Bead Locks, what they read?
    MADE IN CHINA

the only way to have something 100% made in USA today, do it yourself dude... or not?

pics of what I'm talking about, here
    http://americanoverlandexpedition.co...k2008pics.html
    Last edited by Roberto Miranda; 02-28-09, 02:14 PM.

Comment

BTW, what do you know about International getting their hands on the brand?

Comment

David,I agree with almost everything you said.Not a big fan of Hugo and don't go near Citgo signs(7/11 ?) But then I won't go to Mobil and boost thier profits either.If I were to buy a new Jeep,I would tell them to change the things I don't like,but still to big a fan of Jeep not to want 1 IMHO.
        Dennis
        Dennis and Tammy
        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Roberto, the new AOE site looks fantastic.
          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Working...
          X