Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anza-Borrego camping question??

It looks like the area just East of Borrego Springs on S22 is not part of AB national park. I have seen campers parked in that area. Does anyone know if it is legal open camping there? Are fire pits allowed? Thanks, Mat

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/ABDSPmap.pdf

How far is just East? Just a guess but if it's not ABDSP it is probably private property.

Is there any reason you don't want to camp in ABDSP?

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is one of the few California parks that allows open camping throughout its 600,000 acres. There is no charge for this type of camping.

* Camp at least 100 feet away from water.
    * Bring a metal container to hold your fire. Fires built on the ground are NOT permitted and violators will be cited.
    * Park on the side of the road, so others may pass, but DO NOT trample vegetation or drive over geological formations.
    * Keep a clean camp. Take your trash home with you.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

East of ABDSP is the Ocotillo Wells State Vehicle Area.

I believe open is camping is allowed there. The official website can easily be found doing a google search. You'll find all the information there.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

I do a lot of camping remote in AB. A few simple rules will keep the rangers happy,
        First, do not pull off the trail but park in a area it is a little wide so others can pass you. Plus there are many places the trail is already wide because of past campers.
        Do not clear a camping area, look for a place already cleared.
        bring a fire enclosure. such as an old dryer tub or one of the commercial fold out enclosures. One of the biggest things they do not want is the ground stained by fire. here is a link http://www.pit2go.com/
        Pack in and pack out. they prefer you use a system like the PET system for human waste.here is a link to a few toilet options. http://www.outbacktoilets.com/
        But most of all, have a blast, they are fiercely proud of that park and will direct you to anywhere you want to go and want to see.
        We will be down there in 2 weeks for the weekend, have a good time.
        Last edited by blackZZR; 02-17-09, 03:06 PM.
        censored for having an opinion

Comment

I was thinking near peg leg road. I will be towing a trailer with a two wheel drive pickup, so I can't go off the hard pack stuff. Also family staying in motel in town, so I wanted to be close to town. May end up near the ranger station by Ocotillo Wells, but would like to be closer. Open to suggestions! Mat
          Last edited by mrthieba; 02-17-09, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrthieba View Post
            I was thinking near peg leg road. I will be towing a trailer with a two wheel drive pickup, so I can't go off the hard pack stuff. Also family staying in motel in town, so I wanted to be close to town. May end up near the ranger station by Ocotillo Wells, but would like to be closer. Open to suggestions! Mat
            I think the area you are talking about is part of Ocotillo Wells OHVRA. Is it the area where the road rises in elevation? If so camping is allowed just about anywhere.
            censored for having an opinion

Comment

Any place off of Peg Leg or Henderson would be pretty good, but those are technically inside the city limts of Borrego Springs. I have seen plenty of campers off both roads though. Unless you REALLY want a hookup or shower, you will find plenty of remote camping in and around Borrego Springs. Just load up the camper and get out there!

Comment

some pics from a friend...

http://gallery.mac.com/alvarorb#1002...=mosaic&sel=16

Comment

I think I will try the area by peg leg/S22. I've only been out there twice, but both times I saw plenty of trailers there. We will have our Rubi, and a Dodge Nitro (AKA Liberty). Will see if we can see fish creek/Sandstone Cyn and the slot cyn, Pumpkin Patch, gas domes, shell reef. I think the Nitro can do it. Thanks for the responses, we'll be there tomorrow night through Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                  X