Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You are polluting the earth, Stop it, damn it!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are polluting the earth, Stop it, damn it!

Because of folks like this, led by nuts like Al Gore telling our kids not to listen to their parents because we really aren't that smart, we have serious challenges.
    After reading the following story, I can't help but think about a liberal friend that explained that if he could, he would leave all his worldly possessions behind and live in the sticks to reduce his "footprint", "but you know, still have basic plumbing and such"...
    I simply asked him, what's stopping you?

I'm going to go vomit some carbon up now.
    Best, Max7

The New York Times
    Trashing the Fridge

Article Tools Sponsored By
    By STEVEN KURUTZ
    Published: February 4, 2009

FOR the last two years, Rachel Muston, a 32-year-old information-technology worker for the Canadian government in Ottawa, has been taking steps to reduce her carbon footprint — composting, line-drying clothes, installing an efficient furnace in her three-story house downtown.

To reduce their carbon footprint, Rachel Muston and her husband haven’t used a refrigerator in a year. A small basement freezer and a cooler are all they need.

Some people who have tried to go without a fridge, like Rachel Muston, have succeeded.

Others, like Beth Barnes, have settled for a minifridge. “I could drop the refrigerator completely if I had a milkman,” Ms. Barnes said.

Duncan Campbell now completely lives without a refrigerator.

About a year ago, though, she decided to “go big” in her effort to be more environmentally responsible, she said. After mulling the idea over for several weeks, she and her husband, Scott Young, did something many would find unthinkable: they unplugged their refrigerator. For good.

“It’s been a while, and we’re pretty happy,” Ms. Muston said recently. “We’re surprised at how easy it’s been.”

As drastic as the move might seem, a small segment of the green movement has come to regard the refrigerator as an unacceptable drain on energy, and is choosing to live without it. In spite of its ubiquity — 99.5 percent of American homes have one — these advocates say the refrigerator is unnecessary, as long as one is careful about shopping choices and food storage.

Ms. Muston estimated that her own fridge, which was in the house when they bought it five years ago and most likely dates back much longer, used 1,300 kilowatt-hours per year, or produced roughly 2,000 pounds of carbon dioxide — the same amount from burning 105 gallons of gasoline. And even a newer, more efficient model, which could have cut that figure in half, would have used too much energy in her view.

“It seems wasteful to me to use even an Energy Star-rated fridge,” she said, “because I’m getting along fine without one.”

Ms. Muston now uses a small freezer in the basement in tandem with a cooler upstairs; the cooler is kept cold by two-liter soda bottles full of frozen water, which are rotated to the freezer when they melt. (The fridge, meanwhile, sits empty in the kitchen.)

She acknowledges that living this way isn’t always convenient. For starters, it has altered the couple’s eating habits.

“When we had the fridge, we were eating a lot of prepared food from the grocery store,” she said. But the cooler has limited room, and the freezer is for meat and vegetables. Without the extra storage, Ms. Muston finds herself cooking more — which requires more time and forethought because items from the freezer must be thawed.

Asked whether the couple had to give up any cherished foods, Ms. Muston sighed. “Cold beer,” she said. “Scott can’t come home and grab a cold beer out of the fridge anymore. He has to put it in the cooler and wait an hour.”

For the most part, though, the couple seems to have made a smooth transition to life without a refrigerator, something others have tried but failed to do. Beth Barnes, 29, who works for the Kentucky Bar Association, unplugged the refrigerator in her apartment in Frankfort last May to be “a little radical,” she said. After reading online comments from others without a fridge, she learned she could move condiments to a pantry, and that butter can remain unrefrigerated for a week or more. The main concern was how to store dairy products, a major part of her diet.

Ms. Barnes decided to use a cooler, which she refilled daily during the summer with ice that she brought home from an ice machine at her office. That worked fine until she began to travel out of town for her job this fall, and the system hit a snag.

In the end she compromised and bought a minifridge. “I could drop the refrigerator completely if I had a milkman,” she said. “I might eventually try it again if I ever figure out the milk situation.”

MANY environmentalists — even many who think nothing of using recycled toilet paper or cut the thermostat to near-arctic levels — see fridge-free living as an extreme choice or an impractical and excessive goal.

“The refrigerator was a smart advance for society,” said Gretchen Willis, 37, an environmentally conscious mother of four in Arlington, Tex., who recently read about the practice on a popular eco-themed blog, thecrunchychicken.com, and was astounded.

“I never would have thought of it,” Ms. Willis said, explaining that although she’s committed to recycling and using fluorescent bulbs, she draws the line at any environmental practice that will result in great expense or inconvenience. Living without a refrigerator, she said, qualifies on both counts: she would have to buy more food in smaller quantities because of spoilage, prepare exact amounts because she couldn’t refrigerate leftovers, and make daily trips to the grocery store.

“It’s silly not to have one,” she said, “considering what the alternative is: drinking up a gallon of milk in one day so it doesn’t spoil.”

Deanna Duke, who lives in Seattle and runs the site Ms. Willis visited, said that taking a stand for or against unplugging has become “a badge of honor” for those on either side. “It’s either ‘look how far I’m willing to go,’ or ‘look how far I’m not willing to go,’ ” she said. For her part, Ms. Duke may refrain from watering her lawn in an effort at conservation, but she’s firmly in the pro-refrigerator camp. “I can’t think of any circumstances, other than an involuntary extreme situation, that would make me unplug my fridge,” she said. “The convenience factor is too high.”

No-fridge advocates see things differently. They trade tips on Web sites about food storage (“In the winter I put perishables like mayonnaise outside ... ”) and cite residents of developing countries and eco-celebrities like Colin Beavan, the self-proclaimed No Impact Man who ditched his refrigerator during the year that he tried to make no net impact on the environment, as proof that people can get along fine without electric refrigeration.

“Refrigerator lust is one of the things driving huge energy-use increases in the developing world,” wrote the blogger “Greenpa” on his “Little Blog in the Big Woods” two years ago. “A great deal of what’s in your fridge absolutely does NOT need to be there.”

That post has since drawn scores of comments, many from other people living without refrigerators. One woman who followed his lead wrote to report she was “over my initial panic from reaching into the freezer to get ice cream only to feel hot air coming from the vent in the back!!!”

The idea has generated some interest in Western Europe, too. Last fall, scientists at Oxford University in England revived the “Einstein refrigerator,” a pressurized gas fridge that runs without using electricity that is co-credited to Albert Einstein. And Veneta Cucine, the Italian kitchen company, has lately unveiled a concept kitchen called the iGreen, which has no refrigerator but instead uses trays under the countertop to hold fresh produce.

PEOPLE who do best without a refrigerator often have certain built-in lifestyle advantages — they live alone and don’t have to cook large meals for a family, say, or they live on a farm or within walking distance of a grocery store. In the case of Duncan Campbell, who has been living happily without a fridge for three years, it was the food he was used to eating.

Before making the switch, Mr. Campbell, 53, already hewed to a diet focused around long-lived staples like beans and grains, and had begun to can the vegetables he grows in the garden behind his house in Columbus, Ohio. By using a small chest freezer for fruit and leftover soups, he said, he has no trouble whipping up a meal.

The one thing he hasn’t been able to adjust to is the reaction from friends. “Even people I meet who are energy conscious gasp when they hear I’m going without a fridge,” he said.

Ms. Duke, the eco-blogger, has noticed a similar response from her readers when she mentions the no-fridge topic on her blog. “I think a lot of people in the environmental movement have a romanticized idea about living like a pioneer,” she said. “But moving icepacks around and rotten food doesn’t have the same romantic appeal as hanging your clothes on a line.”

A bigger issue for serious environmentalists may be figuring out just how much good one is actually doing by unplugging the fridge — a common problem with green-oriented lifestyle choices.

Mr. Campbell was surprised to read online that refrigerators do not use all that much energy. Marty O’Gorman, the vice president of Frigidaire, said an 18-cubic-foot Energy Star-rated Frigidaire refrigerator uses about 380 kilowatt-hours a year — less than a standard clothes dryer — and costs a homeowner $40, or about 11 cents a day.

Pascale Maslin, the founder of Energy Efficiency Experts, a Washington-based company that conducts energy audits on homes and other buildings, said people may focus undue attention on the refrigerator’s energy consumption simply because they often hear — incorrectly, it turns out — that it is the household appliance that uses the most energy other than heating and cooling systems.

“If I was to examine my life and ask what would reduce my carbon footprint, I would say stop eating meat,” Ms. Maslin said. “That’s much more significant than unplugging your fridge.”

As for the strategy of switching to a dorm-style fridge, Mr. O’Gorman said downsizing from a standard model to Frigidaire’s smallest minifridge would result in only about $6 in energy savings over a year.

It’s this sort of practical calculus that has led many who advocate sustainable living to view unplugging the fridge as a dubious practice. They point out that it is likely to result in more trips to the store (which burns more gas, for those who drive) and the purchase of food in smaller portions (thus more packaging).

“It’s easy to look at your bill and say, ‘I’m saving energy,’ ” Ms. Duke said. “But you need to look at the whole supply chain.”

Nevertheless, both Ms. Muston and Mr. Campbell said they have no plans to plug their fridge back in now that they’ve adjusted to life without it.

“I realize it’s not a big deal in terms of energy use,” Mr. Campbell said, but “it doesn’t change my mind. I don’t like the hum of the thing, and I’ve discovered I don’t need it.”

If You Must Have Cold Beer ...

There are still ways to save energy (and money) for those unwilling to give up the refrigerator.

• Once a year, unplug the refrigerator and clean the door gaskets and compressor coils; if there are pets in the house, clean the coils every three months.

• Buy a refrigerator that has the freezer on top, a configuration that is more efficient than a side-by-side model (in part, because it is generally smaller). Also, choose an Energy Star-rated unit, which is up to 20 percent more efficient.

• Try not to open the door too often, to limit the frequency with which the compressor runs, and choose a model that comes with an alarm to warn that the door is ajar.

• Don’t place the refrigerator next to the oven or in a spot that receives direct sunlight. The higher the ambient temperature, the more the unit has to work to keep cool.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Am I the only one hoping these morons get food poisoning? So how much extra gas do these morons burn driving back and forth to the store everyday, and how much food goes to waste seeing that they now have no way to store leftovers?

Asked whether the couple had to give up any cherished foods, Ms. Muston sighed. “Cold beer,” she said. “Scott can’t come home and grab a cold beer out of the fridge anymore. He has to put it in the cooler and wait an hour.”
    What a B*tch!!! Why she can't put the beer in the cooler before he gets home, so he has cold beer waiting for him? Scott should kick her nutty ass to the curb.
    Last edited by Schmo; 02-08-09, 10:02 AM.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Let's see here...
      Still have to cook food. Using a stove? Or fire wood?
      Still drive to/from work. Nuff said.
      Still wash clothes. Beating the laundry on a rock?
      A small freezer? What a joke! They use energy too.
      Bet they still turn on lights at night, flush the toilet, watch tv, use a blender... the list goes on and on. They're either freaking hypocrites or they are so misinformed that it's just sad. Their hearts seem to be in the right place though...
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
        Why she can't put the beer in the cooler before he gets home, so he has cold beer waiting for him? Scott should kick her nutty ass to the curb.
        I have to admit, I had similar thoughts...
        Best, Max7
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

as a fellow canadian i am outrages over the whole beer thing! warm beer! hes better off swinging by the liquir store and picking up a 6pack on his way home from work, or moving to ancridge and keeping them out side in a heated shack, hahaha.
          :devil: Giffer

Comment

So how come they don't unplug the freezer, doesn't a freezer consume more energy. Essentially they didn't do anything, how many people have a freezer in the basement, I don't, just a fridge, so I believe my carbon footprint is smaller than these goofballs. Same turds that protest plastic shopping bags because of the environment but fail to realize everything in the shopping cart is wrapped in some sort of plastic case, not including their 24 pack of water enclosed in plastic bottles.

Comment

I like the food poisoning comment! These wack jobs are not looking at the big picture.

On a similar subject, last night I watched a program about the last ice age. It was during the Middle Ages. Some nutball stated that this global warming we are now experiencing could lead to another ice age. WTF! I'm still contemplating that statement - it makes no sense!! Somebody help me out here...
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Gotta love the propaganda machine...
                :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Giffer View Post
                  as a fellow canadian i am outrages over the whole beer thing! warm beer! hes better off swinging by the liquir store and picking up a 6pack on his way home from work, or moving to ancridge and keeping them out side in a heated shack, hahaha.
                  LOL Just remember thats has to be a grass hut,no cutt'n tree's.Did I read "recycled TP"? Cut a tree and give me fresh stuff!
                  Dennis and Tammy
                  Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

So Mr. Gore . . . after saving the world from global warming, what are you planning to do to save us from a super volcano eruption, being struck by a meteorite, the earth axis shifting, polarity reversing, etc. Damn, I'd better stop watching the Discovery channel The arrogance of humanity never ceases to amaze me. The way the green movement has turned into a new religion makes me think of how not all that long ago, humans in their brilliance thought the world was flat and that everything revolved around our little planet . . . if you had any different ideas, well then you were a heretic and should be put to death. These green pansies aren't that committed but they sure can spew rhetoric and do a lot of finger waving.
                    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I think people think too much sometimes..gotta let that brain relax!! Then use common sense..
                      "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

The Amish have been living without refrigeration for years, talk about old news...

and there are whole communities of these Amish people... Hmm

They have a very low carbon footprint compared to any of these enviormentalist wacko people and yet they are very rarely brought up in the conversation.

There are two ways an eco-nut can reduce their carbon footprint to its lowest level: 1) off themselves and be done with it. 2) become Amish and practice what they preach for once.

I am sick of these eco-nuts impressing their better than thou lifestyle choices on my consumer based lifestyle! They are all, by the very method of their communication, going against everything they want to stand for.

They are almost as bad as that guy at the trailhead that looks yer rig up and down and says "ah, you should turn 'round, you'll never make it with those tyres and that lift.. blah blah... "
                        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Emergency!

Al Gore is chairman and founder of a private equity firm called Generation Investment Management (GIM). Carbon trading chief lieutenant of his own company. He stands to make billions if the Global Warming legislation passes. This is an emergency... he needs this emergency, if we don't pass laws he won't make any money. He's got a enormous snake oil business, you mean your not buying??? WTF? "As for Al Gore, the former Vice President brings emotional fervor to his carbon crusade. He travels the country displaying charts and graphs, quoting scientific experts and appealing to philosophers and religious leaders to save the planet from global warming. But he says nothing about his business partners who yearn to trade on the emerging carbon market. And the media pay no attention to the companies offering “carbon advisory services” that will profit from federal carbon emission controls.

Perhaps it’s about time they did."source(great article): http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=22663

Pelosi has the same arrangement with T-bone-head Pickins and his wind power industry. When the wind doesn't blow he's got natural gas to sell you and Pelosi's on board making money. She also just happens to be the speaker of the house and mandating much of the legislation. Confict of interest? Once again, WTF?Call or write your congressman, and senators, and tell em what you think.

Boxer, Barbara - (D - CA) Class III
                          112 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
                          (202) 224-3553
                          Web Form: boxer.senate.gov/contact

Feinstein, Dianne - (D - CA) Class I
                          331 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
                          (202) 224-3841
                          Web Form: http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/i...tactUs.EmailMe

and write your Rep.
                          https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Best, Max7

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                            eco-nuts impressing their better than thou lifestyle choices
                            The same eco-nuts that "Public records show Gore’s Nashville mansion used in one month more than twice the electricity the typical American household uses in a year: His average monthly electric bill was more than $1,359. Moreover, Gore’s household energy use increased after An Inconvenient Truth, his film about global warming, was released to ecstatic reviews..."

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                            They are almost as bad as that guy at the trailhead that looks yer rig up and down and says "ah, you should turn 'round, you'll never make it with those tyres and that lift.. blah blah... "
                            I think we should plan a trail run with this guy one last time!
                            lol
                            Best, Max7

Comment

time for me tolead a bit of wisdom to this subject

OK guys
                              I have been living green for years
                              yep, no fridge, it is dried kibble or canned mystery meat for me, and I love it.
                              I do not have to hide my freezer in the basement from my green friends either
                              not only that but I go the extra mile, I drink from the toilet, thereby saving water, but what, flush that puppy (pun intended) no way, I shit in the back yard. Once a week dad says some really choice words cleaning it up, but look at all the water I save, much less it gets composted at the dump and do not need all that energy and chemicals at the sewage plant.
                              Now, take it from me, they is not living green, they is living lean minded. I mean when was the last time they laid in the back yard, scratched a few fleas and went without AC? I do it all the time, POSERS.
                              Have Smackos, will travel

Comment

Working...
                              X