Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Smokey the Bear Ad

Anyone else see this and find it offensive?
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/139238...revention_atv/

I saw it last night and was trying to find it on YouTube but came across this one instead. Seems a little more believable.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66wEA5yx2B8
    Check out .

Originally posted by Blue Ribbon Colalition
    BLUERIBBON COALITION, INC.
    NEWS RELEASE
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Phone: 925.625.6287
    Email: brdon@sharetrails.org
    Date: July 21, 2008
    NATIONAL TRAIL RECREATION GROUP PETITIONS AD COUNCIL TO PULL INFLAMMATORY ATV FIRE PREVENTION CAMPAIGN

POCATELLO, ID (July 21) - A national trail recreation group is strongly urging the Smokey Bear program to revise its current ATV fire prevention campaign. On behalf of outraged OHV enthusiasts, the BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC) contacted the Ad Council last week strongly urging them to withdraw the inaccurate and inflammatory ATV-oriented public service advertisements.

BRC reviewed the ad material posted at www.smokeybear.com and found the PSA was sending the wrong message to riders operating their ATVs in a legal manner with functioning USDA Forest Service approved spark arrestors. The ad implied that the proper way for motorized recreationists to prevent wildfires is for them to load up their vehicles and go home.

Smokey Bear has historically cautioned the public against careless acts, such as tossing a lighted cigarette out of a moving automobile or not properly extinguishing a campfire. BRC feels this ad should be focused on educating the public about using approved spark arrestors on their OHVs and confining their use to legal roads, trails, and areas.

Don Amador, BRC spokesperson on the use of sound compliant mufflers and spark arrestors, states, "As an advocate for the use of legal exhaust systems on public and private lands, I found the current Smokey Bear ATV wildfire PSA to be offensive, unethical, and unprofessional. The ad should have been focused on encouraging enthusiasts to use legal spark arrestors on their OHVs and stay on designated routes."

"Smokey Bear is inappropriately using a mountain biker as a surrogate to tell members of the motorized trail community that the best way for them to prevent wildfires is to just stay home. This ad sends the wrong message at a time when many government and civic leaders are encouraging young people to step away from their video games and get out and enjoy the great outdoors," Amador continues.

"BRC has heard from a number of our recreation partners and agency staff who are equally outraged by this PSA. It is our hope the Ad Council, Forest Service, and National Association of State Foresters withdraw this ad and work with BRC and other stakeholders to develop a legitimate outreach program to the OHV community," Amador concludes.

You can read BRC's response to the advertisement here: http://www.sharetrails.org/files/BRC...-2008Jul16.pdf
    # # #
    The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible use of public and private lands, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. It represents over 10,000 individual members and 1,200 organization and business members, for a combined total of over 600,000 recreationists nationwide. 1-800-258-3742. http://www.sharetrails.org
    There was a letter writing campaign started on Pirate
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I already had the response prior to watching the second link. Forestry approved spark arrestors on a dirt road does not equal instant wildfire. Everyone needs to be careful, but don't trash
      OHV's while doing it. Also the lady in the second clip needs to get a helmet and wear it. Poor ol' Smoky gets no respect.

Mitch

Comment

I realize that this is a public, and family friendly forum.............but the first ad makes me flippin' (Mitch....you do not need to add anything here about the position of my jeep in relation to the ground) incensed!
        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

I guess it's not such a new ad after all. Date: July 21, 2008
          I don't watch a lot of TV. Can you tell?
          Check out .

Comment

Working...
          X