Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box Canyon, Mecca, CA

Not a trail run but is anyone familiar with the Mecca, Ca area? My Grandmother recently passed away and my father and uncle want to take a trip out that way. I thinks they wish to go to Box Canyon or Painted something or other. We were looking to make a 2 day trip out of this and maybe see the area where General Patton trained troops for WWII. Any pointers would be appreciated if you know the area.

Thanks.

We love the Mecca Hills/Orocopia Mountains area.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/pa/wilderness/...pia_mtns_4.pdf

Box Canyon is a paved road.

Little Box Canyon is a Jeep trail mostly in a wash.

Red Canyon is a Jeep trail mostly in a wash.

Painted Canyon is a 6 mile graded dirt road to the parking area and then a 4 mile hike.

The Grotto/Hidden Springs is a 3 mile hike starting on the Meccacopia Jeep trail (SR1811).

The Patton Museum is just off the freeway at Chiriaco Summit. http://www.generalpattonmuseum.com/

Camping in Little Box Canyon

The Grotto is a series of slot canyons and caves

Hidden Spring

Painted Canyon is a series of slot canyons and caves and ladders

Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

001 Entrance to Painted Canyon - N33°34.365 W115°59.791

002 Entrance to Little Box Canyon - N33°36.216 W115°55.346

003 Entrance to Meccacopia Jeep Trail - N33°37.246 W115°54.662
      Meccacopia Jeep Trail is an authorized route through wilderness.

Lat/Lon format is hddd° mm.mmm and WGS84 datum
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Great help as always Doug! You have traveled so many areas that I want to check out.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
          Great help as always Doug! You have traveled so many areas that I want to check out.

Mitch
          Yes. Thanks Doug. I knew if anyone on MJR had GPS points for places as this in Southern Calif., it would be you.

Comment

Working...
          X