Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad's Coming to Visit

Okay, so my father is coming to visit in May, 2009. Just in time for my retirement, etc. He'll be here for about 20 days or so. I'm recruiting help for what to do with him.

Showing him the base will take about one day to get bored of...he's not a big gun kinda guy.
    Then I figure we'll hit Big Bear, a trail run hopefully (but he's gonna rip my a$$ over how out of tune the YJ is.) So there's a day there also.
    He mentioned wanting to go to San Fransisco to ride the trolly cars, so we'll spend a couple few days there also...
    Going to Hoover Dam, okay. Vegas... okay... there's a couple more days...
    I figure I've got about 10 days to fill.
    But I'm trying to figure out what else to do with him. No Disney Land, my sister lives in Orlando and Disney World kicks Disney Land's butt all over the place. Sea World in San Diego is a maybe, been to Florida, done it there... but the really unique stuff like...the Sequoia's is still going to be under snow isn't it?
    Anything else in SoCal to do that a midwestern glass factory worker might be interested in? No skydiving or bungee jumping type stuff. He's 60 guys...I dont wanna kill him.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

If he's never been out this way, Hollyweird and Venice Beach are always good tourist traps. Watching the freaks at both locations to putting your feet in the stars of years past. From where you're coming from, that'll take care of a day.

Comment

Sequoias would be fine in May as well as Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Grand Canyon, etc.

Sedona has great scenery and some fun 4x4 trails.

San Diego has some fabulous museums.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

How about a tour of the northern coast, Big Sur, San Simeon (Hearst Castle) Cambria, Morro Bay... Since you'll be in San Fran. There's also Alcatraz, we'll be doing that tour this December for another SF activity. But for sure the northern Calif. coast is beautiful that time of year, might be worth looking into. I know there's camping and a hotel in Big Sur, where the forest meets the coastline, unforgettable.

Tom

Comment

Lake Havasa in May has some spectacular scenery! Never too old to enjoy that!

Comment

Ooh yea, almost forgot about Hollywood (during the daylight hours), Griffith Park & Santa Monica Pier/Venice Beach. Good stuff!

Doug, the Sequoia Nat'l Park will be open? Barb and I thought about Grand Canyon, but there's TOO much to see there, it would have to be another 2 week trip just by itself! But Barb and I planned to see Sequoia and King's Canyon before leaving California anyway. Good timing.

Tom, we planned to take the 1 up the coast to SF, stop at the lighthouses. Alcatraz is on the list, and a day at Fisherman's Warf. We'll spend three days there, staying two nights at the Marine Memorial Hotel. Will look into the hotel at Big Sur for one nights stay.

Lake Havesue! I totally forgot about it! Entirely! Thanks for that!

Does anyone know if the 80 east toward Reno from SF closes in the winter? I'd imagine they keep it pretty well opened up right? Maybe thinking of going to Silver City, NV. He'd like that kind of stuff. Maybe hit the east side of Yosemite on the way back down to 29 Palms.

Comment

Saline Valley Warm Springs and Palm Hot Springs :bonk:

Take him to Julian for some pie. San Diego Zoo and/or Wild Animal Park.
              Last edited by Lawrence; 10-30-08, 03:23 PM.
              [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                Lake Havesue! I totally forgot about it! Entirely! Thanks for that!
                There is a chance I be in that area (Parker strip) in May. We'll be there Spring break and may leave the RV & Sea Doo's and return for another week in May. No dates yet but if it works out Sea Doo's are a lot of fun. Last spring break I got my dad (70+) to go out on the water, I think he even got up to 45mph. The only thing the water is not very warm.
                Looks like you may have lots to do after all.

Cheers, Tom

Comment

Ooo! Take him down to the border and show him how there's no fence - the opposite of what you see on the news! I'd bet May would be good for Death Valley. They have hotels
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                    Okay, so my father is coming to visit in May, 2009. Just in time for my retirement, etc. He'll be here for about 20 days or so. I'm recruiting help for what to do with him.

Showing him the base will take about one day to get bored of...he's not a big gun kinda guy.
                    Then I figure we'll hit Big Bear, a trail run hopefully (but he's gonna rip my a$$ over how out of tune the YJ is.) So there's a day there also.
                    He mentioned wanting to go to San Fransisco to ride the trolly cars, so we'll spend a couple few days there also...
                    Going to Hoover Dam, okay. Vegas... okay... there's a couple more days...
                    I figure I've got about 10 days to fill.
                    But I'm trying to figure out what else to do with him. No Disney Land, my sister lives in Orlando and Disney World kicks Disney Land's butt all over the place. Sea World in San Diego is a maybe, been to Florida, done it there... but the really unique stuff like...the Sequoia's is still going to be under snow isn't it?
                    Anything else in SoCal to do that a midwestern glass factory worker might be interested in? No skydiving or bungee jumping type stuff. He's 60 guys...I dont wanna kill him.
                    be sure to eat at the stinking rose in san fran.
                    http://www.thestinkingrose.com/
                    there are some other great restaurants up there.
                    ashbury is also a must see to get a feel for the hippies of the world.
                    we went a month or so ago and found this to be the best place to stay for a ~fair price.
                    http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-san_...?promo=gglocal

there are no "cheap" places to stay, but this one had decent rooms, and the location put you in walking/trolley/taxi distance from everything.

the long beach aquarium is pretty cool.
                    http://www.yelp.com/biz/long-beach-a...fic-long-beach

there is plenty of stuff to do in the LA area.
                    Last edited by NAILER341; 10-30-08, 05:29 PM.
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Erik, very cool...Barb and I have been to SF three or four times now. Always love it up there. Ashbury isn't REALLY fond of me and my haircut...not sure if I smell bad, or what. We plan to get some clam chowder on the warf one night, will look into the stinking rose for the other night. Thanks for the hotel also; I'm a member of the Marine Club, so rates are reduced for us at the Marine Hotel. Aquarium!!! Hey thats a cool idea also! I'll check out the Long Beach one, also I was wondering if anyone has been to the Scripps Aquarium in La Jolla? I've heard it is actually under the ocean or something like that???

Sarah... I wanted to take him into TJ for a one day exposure to the third world. But he has no passport so that's a no-go. Maybe take him down to Jacumba and just watch people walk back and forth.

Tom, online looking at Havasue. Seeing what's available to do and what-not. Any suggestions?

Desert Hot springs is just down the road from us. I'm thinking we'll go up San Jacinto in the tram maybe. Wondering if I can convince him that all the wind turbines are there to keep the air circulating so people don't die.

Also wondering about Salt Water fishing. Dad likes fishing, but not sure if he'd want to do that, it might ruin him for fishing the lakes back home. But it's pretty expensive from what I hear.

THANK YOU! If you think of something, throw it out there please!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                        the long beach aquarium is pretty cool.
                        http://www.yelp.com/biz/long-beach-a...fic-long-beach

there is plenty of stuff to do in the LA area.
                        Nick, If you're going up the coast and stopping by San Simeon and checking out Hearst Castle, you should NOT go to the Long Beach Aquarium as Erik has suggested... go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium instead. It is far better in my opinion. Sorry Erik!

Also, up the coast is Solvang. That's a fun little place to visit.

Thought about Universal City Walk? Catalina? Carlsbad Flower Fields? Wild Animal Park (if not the Zoo, or Sea World)?
                        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

May is the BEST month to see Yosemite because the waterfalls are in full flow.

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                          KI6MLU

Comment

I agree with Russ early May is an awesometime to visit
                            Yosemite. I went hiking there in that month several years ago and all the streams and waterfalls were mangnificent, even had some snow for good measure

Comment

Thanks Russ... and ... Um.... I know I've met you during AAT, I'm just horrible with names. :hide:

Ok, so my fear that there will be too much snow still is unfounded!? That's awesome. Yes Yosemite is on Barb and I's list too!!!

I think that will fill the time up!

If there is something that we just cannot overlook that you feel we have... Post it and we'll see what it looks like.

Thanks Family...for helping out.

Comment

Working...
                              X