Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy

I appreciate the feedback on the YJ I was looking at in my introduction thread.

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12129

Of course I still have the bug and have been scouring CL / ebay and these and other forums for a vehicle. I just ran across this one on Pirate4x4 and was looking for some more feedback.

The trip up north is no problem, I did it a few years ago for an 86 GLH, flew in checked it out and drove it home.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=714517

Any and all feedback is appreciated as are leads to other vehicles. Needs to be streetable / smog legal (SoCal cops), seat 3-4 (Family), wheelable and under $6k.

Thanks guys and gals!

EDIT: Hardtop preffered but not a dealbreaker.
    Last edited by Gunnar; 09-14-08, 12:10 PM.
    Looking for a rig--- Needs to be streetable, seat 3-4 and <$6k. Willing to travel for it, up to 36 hour turnaround.

i got a yj that needs a motor
    [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by dr.dirty View Post
      i got a yj that needs a motor
      Details?
      Looking for a rig--- Needs to be streetable, seat 3-4 and <$6k. Willing to travel for it, up to 36 hour turnaround.

Comment

Well after scouring CL and ebay, I think I may have found the "one".

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport in excellent condition w/ clean title for sale by original owner.

The car has 4wd, 5-speed manual transmission, power windows, power locks, Toyo tires, CD/cassette player and 141k miles. The body is in perfect condition and the car has been impeccably maintained w/ oil changes every 3000 miles or less.

The car has never been in an accident.

$3000

Thoughts and pros / cons would be appreciated.
        Last edited by Gunnar; 09-24-08, 10:55 AM.

Comment

looks good, buy it!
          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

I think that would be a great rig for what you seem to be looking for. Of course I may be a little partial I just picked up this a little over a month ago and could not be happier. It is not quite as capable as my yj but a whole lot more comfortable on the highway.

Heres mine.

<><
            4x4him.org

Comment

Looks great and its a decent price for a 99.

Basically a 99 is the best year XJ you can buy. It has the best intake manifold, it has an HP D30 up front. it most likely has a 29 spline 8.25 in the rear, that AX-15 is a great manual transmission and is pretty much bullet proof till you get into the huge tire sizes. It has the updated body style and updated interior.

I say do it, i'll never give up my XJ.

As for capability, they can be VERY capable...

Last edited by swbooking; 09-24-08, 11:28 AM.
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

You can't go wrong with and XJ if you have to haul more than two people.

There are plenty of aftermarket parts available and the knowledge base is huge for what works and what doesn't for mods.

The red one is my sister's. She can fit all 6 of them in there (they installed an aftermarket jumpseat in the cargo area.

Comment

Now come the million questions.....

Lift:

Rubicon Express 3.5" Super-Flex

Rubicon Express 4.5" Super-Flex

TeraFlex 4" Long Arm Suspension System without Shocks

Fabtech 4" Suspension Lift

Skids / Armor: Do I need just Diff guards or should I get the covers? (I will be servicing everything when I get the rig.)

Four X Doctor Diff Guard for Chrysler 8 1/4" Rear Axle

ARB Competition Differential Covers

Warn Rock Sliders

Rims and Tires:

probably black steel rims with 31"-33" tires (depending on the lift) x 5

Gearing:

4.10 or 4.56??? (anything better while streetable?)

Lockers

possibly a locker, this might have to wait, depending on the budget.

Anything else that is a must have, tow straps, shovel, pick and Jerry cans??

Comment

Lift and gearing is ultimately dictated by tire size. Decide that then base your build on that.

With the late model XJ's 99% positive you'll have to do an SYE on the transfer case.

Before even lifting it, my first suggestion would be to get a t-case skid (the Mopar one will be fine, I may have one in the garage), rock rails and a gas tank skid (once again the Mopar once is good), front and rear recovery points (tow hooks up front, hitch in the rear), disconnects for the front swaybar and a recovery strap.

I would spend a few extra bucks for the RuffStuff Specialties diff covers. They are beef.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...d7d04e85530ace

There are some local people that can fab up rock rails for you.

Comment

As for lift if you want short arms:

RE6200 It will be fine for 33s and will give you room to grow. If you decide to.

Long arms:

TnT Customs 5.5" Radius Arm Lift
                      Clatyons Hard Arm Lift
                      Rock Krawler X-factor Suspension

Get the full diff covers, yup as Karstic said, RuffStuff is exactly what you want.

Black steelies will be fine, either 15x8 or 15 x10 your preference, and your gonna want a 4 - 3.75" back spacing on those.

As for gearing, I would say youd be fine with 4.10s and 33s and the AX-15 especially if you do a lot of highway time but if you do mostly city and ever think you might step up to a 35, go with 4.56s.

I run 4.10s with my 35s and AX-15, its great on the flat but the minute i hit a decent hill on the freeway, i slow WAY down. Itd be nice to have a little more gearing.

and yup again, SYE and CV DS is a must. JE Reel in Pomona have alwas been great to the Jeeping crowd.

Armor it up and have fun.

One last thing:

www.NAXJA.org/forum

Anything and everything youd ever need to know about an XJ will be there.
                      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X