Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Trailers

Anyone use tent trailers in Stoddard Wells or Johnson Valley when it was windy?? If so, how'd they survive?

Julie,

Any tent trailer newer than 15 years or so should do well. As the canvas gets older and starts to deteriorate and it can rip in high winds. If you are looing for a used one, set it up and look at all the snaps because that is where all the stress is and where the canvas will fail first. Also, carefully inspect it for dry rot - even crawl under it to look.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

I am actually going the other root and gonna be looking at a vintage 1967 tent trailer. Seems like the newer stuff these days is cheaply made and falls apart so quickly, i.e. my tents collapsing & breaking. I will definitely inspect for dry rot and the snaps n stuff. Thanks Roger.

Comment

Julie, my father has purchased a few different tent trailers at a steal with the canvas kinda raggety and bought a new canvas from a company(I can check on that for ya) and still came out pretty inexpensive. Plus the new canvas is stronger and more water resistent. Just another way to go.
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I ended up getting the little trailer...named her the "Desert Inn" - LOL. She is the size of a full-size bed. Looks kinda like a tin box and then the top just fold over to the side and becomes the full-size bed. Inside the "truck" bed area is a little table with 2 benches that have storage underneath them. Once folded open you attach the canvas all the way around. Then, climb inside under the canvas and stretch the 3 sets of poles up till the canvas is all tight and walla...I have a nice little tent trailer! It also has stabilizer jacks from each corner that come down to make it sturdy.

The canvas is actually really thick and good quality with no holes in it that I could see when it was all setup. The screens however have holes and have been patched several times. All I need to do is buy some more screen and have it sewn on. It is super cute!!

Since ORA TV put the graphics on the Desert Jewel I have been at loss for where to put all my stickers...now I have a place. Instead of having the "Desert Inn" painted...it's gonna get all the stickers!!

And, one of the great things is, she is so small, I was able to leave her attached to the Desert Jewel and pull straight in my garage! The both fit with a foot to spare!!

Can't wait to test her out at Fun In The Desert the end of September!!

Comment

Okay Julie!

Trailers are easy to "lift" and you need to match your green paint job and don't forget bigger tires & custom wheels to match the DJ!

Post pictures!
            MJR moderator
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

WP!!! WP!!!

Barb and I are still looking for a small towing trailer too. Something along the lines of Erik's "Trailer Twinkie".

Post soon!

Comment

Roger the Desert Inn is gonna stay vintage, no paint job, no lift, no matching tires....helps to add to its character

Will post pic's as soon as I get some today...

Comment

I love the new little Desert Inn!! I put on a couple spare tire carriers today and mounted the spares. I bought a new tongue latch deal, but got the wrong size so need to take it back and exchange it. The one that is on her is rusted so the trying to move the handle up and down between the locked position is nearly impossible. Then I cleaned the whole thing out and got her all packed & ready to go! Even the bed is all made and ready! I am truly amazed at how much I was able to get packed into this little thing. There is even floor space room for the ice chest, 7 gallon water jug, and porta-potty...and those are all I have to add to go camping now!!

I am kicking myself because I got her all loaded and the bed made, then closed her up before taking pictures!!! However, I did take a couple yesterday with my cell phone.

The Desert Inn closed up and ready to go:

The Desert Inn open, without the canvas tent part setup:

Comment

Cool little trailer Julie!
                    MJR moderator
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Dang Julie I would have sold you this set up

Its no fun without family

Comment

Originally posted by tool pimp View Post
                        Dang Julie I would have sold you this set up
                        For $300???? LOL!! No thanks, I don't need the additional insurance, gas, registration, etc.
                        Last edited by Desert Jewel; 09-01-08, 09:21 AM.

Comment

The Desert Inn is awesome. Nice find Julie!
                          Best, Max7
                          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

That's awesome Julie! Card game at your place when it starts raining!!

Comment

great little trailer. about the size of the tear drop one I used to have. Tool pimp is that camper for sale? just curious.
                              I think you will enjoy that Julie.
                              Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

Working...
                              X