Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone into ATVs?

Just got a really good deal on a Rhino, trying to find some cool places to take it in the SBNF.

It has to be in areas designated for OHV use only, correct? I'm assuming I can't take it on any of the forest roads open to street legal vehicles, correct?

If anyone's into ATVs and such, any interest in getting a run together? I'm fairly new to the area and don't know the trails very well yet.

yes it can only be used in places marked for OHV, that is correct. you CAN take it on forrest roads where jeeps etc can also go in most cases. where ever green stickerd vehicles are permitted. enjoy your new toy!
    Jeeps Rock & Quads Too!

Comment

I really liked riding my quads untill they passed the new laws. I sold em and got a DS bike that I'm not very fond of.

Plan on getting the cold shoulder from the responsible bike and quad guys. Seems like MOST Rhino drivers are a danger to society. They don't pay attention, take corners too fast and having a bed on the back so they can pack in a few beers just makes the problem worse.

There are some Rhino guys that are responsible but most of them are boneheads. A quad or bike rider will get completly smashed if hit by a Rhino going 40 mph around a blind turn.

Comment

Originally posted by CorporateZombie View Post
        It has to be in areas designated for OHV use only, correct? I'm assuming I can't take it on any of the forest roads open to street legal vehicles, correct?
        That is correct.

You can use any green sticker OHV routes that are more than 50" wide.

You cannot use street legal only routes.

You cannot use any 50" or narrower trails.

You can stage at Big Pine Flat. Trails nearby that are ATUV legal are 3N16 to the West, 3N11 and 3N17

You can stage at 3N10 John Bull. Trails nearby that are ATUV legal are 3N10.

You can stage at Cactus Flats. Trails nearby that are ATUV legal are 3N03, 2N61Y, 2N71Y and Rattlesnake Canyon.

You can stage at Pinnacles. Trails nearby that are ATUV legal are 3N34, 3N34D, 2N27Y, 2N28Y and 2N29Y.

You can stage at Miller Canyon. Trails nearby that are ATUV legal are 2N37, 2N34, 2N33, 2N17X, and 2N36.

You can stage at 2N47 Cleghorn. Trails nearby that are ATUV legal are 2N47.

You can stage at Trestles. Trails nearby that are ATUV legal are 3N21 and 3N24.
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Doug covered the basics pretty well, but I need to clarify/correct part of rubigirls answer.

UTV's (the Federal classification) can NOT go anywhere a green sticker vehicle can go. They are not ATV's (irrespective of whether they are less than 50" wide). One of my projects is a series of maps/info sheets that we'll be handing out to the UTV community. The map side will show (per district) the trails that UTV's are allowed on (both map and trail number). The flip side will denote what constitutes an ATV vs. a UTV, and let the folks know that the "Jeep" symbol on the DVR sign is "their" "allowed to ride" symbol - NOT the ATV symbol.
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

ok, just to ask, I have friends that have their Rino tagged and plated and they drive it street legal in Arizona. It's got an AZ license plate and turn signals... anyways, does that allow them access to streel legal only trails here in CA?
            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

I was afraid someone would ask that - I don't have a "black and white" answer. Technically, they'd have to meet all the provisions of CVC (proof of insurance, DOT tires, etc). If it were an AZ licensed ATV (we see a few of those), I could answer (and the answer would be no). I'll ask though.
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY

Comment

A quad can be registered in AZ and be street legal. Ca does not recognize the AZ law on this and will ticket/impound the quad if found on the street. I'd assume that a Rhino would get the same,

Comment

well there ya go. thanx, I'll let them know what everyone allready told them...
                  :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

From my CHP buddy:

Jeff, No. The mere presence of registration does not confirm the vehicle is, "street legal". Rhino's, and all other side-by-side UTV's, fall under the same equipment regulations applying to any other four-wheeled (non-motorcycle) vehicle which is operated upon a highway in California. Just to start, that would mean: On-highway EPA/CARB emissions certification DOT lighting DOT tires An AS-1 windshield and wipers bumpers I'm not really sure how Arizona is getting away with street registration, as the vehicles are not even close to federal emissions and safety compliance, unless they are supposed to be operated as "agricultural implements of husbandry", or on co-joined highway/OHV routes, which I imagine is the case. If they continue to just allow them to be operated, without restriction, upon highways, Uncle Sam will eventually come down upon the state, by withholding federal funding, for lack of compliance with federal statutes. Just as an aside, I just did a VIN verification on a Polaris RZR that had been purchased out of state and still had the manufacturer's statement of origin from Polaris. Prominently featured on the MSO was the statement, "Not to be registered for on-highway use". Also, during the rules/reg training the issue came up of where the Rhino's and other UTV fall under Division 16.5 of the California Vehicle Code (OHV statutes). As a side-by-side, they clearly are not "all-terrain vehicles" as defined in CVC 111, irrespective of their weight, because of the requirement in 111 that the operator's seat be "straddled", and the vehicle be controlled by "handlebars." However, the UTV's would fall under the term "dune buggy" as used in CVC 38012, making them both eligible and subject to the provisions of the OHV statutes. Note that if was somehow determined they were not OHV's, and since they are not legal for highway use, they could not be used on public lands at all. I hope this helps!
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY

Comment

Any vehicle driven on California highways must meet certain federal (DOT) and state safety requirements to be legal. Just because a vehicle is licensed street legal in another state does not make it street legal in California. There is not any reciprocity.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ection_toc=777

Any vehicle that does meet state and federal standards can be registered as street legal.

Golf carts have been registered street legal for many years in California. There is a guy who lives in Big Bear who has his side by side registered street legal as a golf cart.
                      Last edited by FishPOET; 08-20-08, 10:54 AM.
                      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Working...
                      X