Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Weekend with The Other…

A Weekend with The Other…

I know you are thinking that I’m like the Hummingbird, flying between flowers, but what else I can do? It's spring time and there are flowers all over the place. I just feed myself with my passion’s nectar and risk to live my live the best way that I can.

We had planned this trip a long time ago, basically, at last year's trip. We just needed to look for best date that fit this year's agenda.

However, the overheating problem that ended with a blown head gasket, delayed planning. I’ve been rebuilding my motor, so what do I do, skip the trip or rent a car? What a dilemma!

Nicolas and his family canceled at last minute because they had some issues with Andrei’s new school. Enrique and family cancelled due to working issues. They also couldn't find a place to leave the dogs.

Enrique gave me an indecent proposal, by offering his Land Rover. It needed to be driven and he hasn't had time to drive it, so he asks me to let him know how it performs. It was a wonderful gesture since I broke Buttercup.

I could only imagine how I looked with my eyes popping out after the news that I now had a vehicle for the trip. I told him that I needed to ask permission from the wife, otherwise, might be in trouble for accepting the offer. Carol’s approved by saying, "you know what you are doing." I took the Land Rover for a car wash, and I felt like I was cheating on Buttercup. The sensation was the same as taking a shower with a lover..., not that I would know, but so I've been told!

Her golden skin was similar to Buttercup, but when I tried to fit my packages in her cargo area, I knew that I was only imagining my love. Mine is a lot bigger, but I figured out a way to fit everything I needed.

The roaring sound from The Other is addictive, but the winding sound from Mine is charming. Gas mileage is not a huge difference between both trucks. However, Mike’s Tacoma was there and I compared with that. The point where Mike’s Tacoma gauge showed 3/4, The Other had just ½ tank left. I guess Buttercup will be the same.

When The Other catches her rhythm, it’s like being in the front row, because she can easily climb to 90 mph with out feeling it. I had to really pay attention to the dashboard or be in danger of receiving a ticket.

The Other's seats are really comfy, not to mention the A/C and the stereo. I don’t like the CD’s case location in either of them. You can’t reach it, so whatever music you had when you started the trip is what's going to play. I’m really thinking about installing a device that allows me to play the Ipod, but a better stereo is not part of my priority list.

Before talking about the suspension, let me tell you that the air bags where replaced by regular coils on The Other, so there is no real difference between both trucks in that respect. Both are smooth over obstacles and both jump a little bit without any cargo.

Let’s talk about our visit to Mike’s Cabin this year. We had great time! We helped to unload and spread the rocks from the Tacoma , these are used to avoid dust in the area, close to the cabin. It’s the same task of every trip, but not big deal. We also picked-up some firewood. They say that the wood warms you twice, once when you look for it and then when you burn it. They are correct!

Our menu was followed pretty well this time. There were no leftovers, so that was a good sign. We were short on ice, as always, but mainly for the alcoholic drinks. I need to remember to freeze some water bottles for cooling purposes, so that there is no mess inside the cooler. Dry ice works perfectly as well. Another option could be to choose different spirits beverages, but knowing ourselves, that is not going to happen.

Luis shined with his cooking abilities once more! He prepared awesome omelets for breakfast and we had a Butterfly cut for the tri-tip. Carol prepared fried arepas from scratch. (They're like a salty donut, but made from corn flour). Delicious!

Francis and his boys where there, and camping in a huge tent. The kids are 6, 8 and 10 years old and we had so much fun with them. We did some trekking and we hiked a big rock with a breathtaking view of the meadows. The kids just needed help to cross over a bushy section that was scratching their faces, but they did great.

Glen arrives to the cabin really early on Saturday, but he was on foot. He rented a Jeep Compass, that is 4x4, but not with low range, so he was not able to sort through some obstacles on the way to the cabin. There isn't a tow hook on that truck, so we had to leave it there. It was close to the trail. This is an easy trail, but 4 Low and hooks are mandatory.

The Other: Range Rover 1999 (AKA Kiketa)
    Mine: Lexus LX 450 1997 (AKA Buttercup)

Roberto L. Miranda.

So where did you go on this trip??
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

I went to Golden Trout Wilderness, in the Sierras...

here some pics of the trip...

warning, some nudity there, censured, but anyways....

http://www.yopo4x4.com/index.php?mod...&id=23&eid=315

Comment

Working...
      X