Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Load Calculation

I am thinking of installing AC in my garage and I wanted some idea of size/capacity.

Dims are 30 x 40 x 9

Insulated wood frame structure with stucco.
    Flat roof.
    100F ambient.
    RH 10-30%

I don't need to reach 72F but knocking it down to 80 would be GREAT!!

Any suggestions?

TIA
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

I'm a former tradesman,contractor,building inspector, and now a facilities manager (in the desert!) I recommend that you insulte the garage as heavyily as will fit, drywall the ceiling and walls, and install the biggist evap cooler you can afford. I say that because you want to get the air moving. I realize that your humidity is higher there than this part of the desert but the energy trade-off would be well worth it!

Oh, and coat your roof with white elastromeric roof coating - that makes a HUGE difference because it will refelect 80% of the suns energy. If your roof is rock, just scrape off all the rock that you can and coat the rest! In fact, do this first, it will be worth it!

I'd be interested in following your progress!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

are there any windows?
      how many how big, and are they facing the sun?
      if not many windows, or they are dual glaze/low e, 4 ton should do you well. if 5 ton is in the budget, you'll be covered.
      look at the carrier 48tc

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc.../48tc-02pd.pdf
      Last edited by NAILER341; 07-11-08, 07:58 PM.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

We are having a building done now with pvc coating rolls. Pretty neat stuff. Has about 3 inch of insulation under it.

Can you still get 10 seer in your neighborhoods?
        Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

so, what did you do?
          ERIK

Comment

the rule of thumb for this is 1 ton per 350 s.f.@ 8' ceiling insulated r-19 ceiling, and r-13 walls.
            there you have it.
            as insulation goes down, tonnage goes up. as the ceiling goes up so does the tonnage.
            ERIK

Comment

Nothing.....

I didn't want to buy a portable unit, that did nothing, and waste my money.

And I could quite hunker down for a split unit....so I started thinking.....

The garage has been added on, the original garage is now a den with a split AC unit, which is rated at 19000 thingies. But it doesn't work properly, I suspect the pressure is low.

So i decided to have this unit fixed, then I can run the house unit full on and dump into the den. Run the den and dump into the garage.

Maybe this will take the edge off, maybe not but it's worth a try.

Yeaaah

oops wrong forum :cactus:
              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Working...
              X