Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone interested in a hike?

I'm heading up to the Sierra's Thursday (June 26th), currently solo and without a Jeep.

Plans are White Mountain, 14,232 ft. on Saturday. 14 miles round trip, via easy access (dirt road...sorry, no vehicles...only researchers). I plan to play with my ham radio while up there.

Plans are open. I'm outta shape! I plan on camping Thursday night above 10,000 ft. (to help acclimate), East of Big Pine. Friday a.m. hike Little Lakes Valley, which is North of Bishop, South of Mammoth. Start is above 10,000 ft., about 6 miles, very little elevation gain/loss. Friday afternoon, soaking in the hot pools. Friday night, camping East of Big Pine at locked gate, 11,600 ft.

Saturday morning, heading to top VERY slowly. I'm planning on carrying about 10lbs of radio equipment and battery. Once at the summit, I will play radio until the battery dies.

I plan on returning home later Saturday night or very early Sunday morning.

btw, That weekend is Amateur Radio's Field Day event. Bunch of hams operating their radio's in the field, running on emergency power (batteries or generators), talking to one-another. Event goes from 11am Saturday to 11am Sunday.

The only thing set in stone is leaving Thursday and coming home Saturday night.

Any takers?

Steve,

That is waaay to much walking for me. I went to Butler Pk one field day, I had some awsome contacts on 10m. Enjoy your trip -n6ujm.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

10m is my favorite band...but I'll probably play on 20m because it has more activity.

Comment

Are you going all the way up to the research station? On foot?!?

That's a LONG way! I rode a motorcycle up there a few years back during their annual open house. Took hours to get there through some gorgeous, yet desolate landscape. The views are amazing! (you can see Area 51 if the weathers clear)

(Note: that's not me in the pic! LOL)

Bring warm clothes. The day I was there it was high 90's in Big Pine but 40's & raining at Barcroft station(and lightning hitting the ground nearby)

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Comment

I plan on parking at the locked gate (the one thats opened only once a year for the public) and walking in. I'll be carrying my ham radio equipment. It's only about 7 miles one way, but its all above 12,000 feet.

Current plans are to spend Friday hiking to research facility and a little beyond to help acclimate and to drop water bottles. My goal is 13,500.

Saturday morning, hiking to summit, hopefully in time to start field day at 11am. Operate 1-2 hours, head back down.

I'm taking an inexperienced friend with me. I told him to expect 90-100 degree temps, with the possibility of snow!

Comment

Made it to the top. I am broken.

Comment

Mountain Man , Glad ya made it back safe..You,ll have to fill me in on details..Geeb
              "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

cool man. I haven't been on in years. I renewed my license though.
                Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Working...
                X