Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VISTA or XP PRO ???

I have a couple friends that recently bought new PCs and have Vista as there operating system. What a slow sluggish non user friendly nightmare. Hell I tried to do a system restore and it failed all three times. Both these machines have three gig of mem. as Vista requires a lot of memory and even then it still sucks. Maybe go back to XP pro ???
    "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Dude, I have yet to meet someone who likes Vista. I am still running XP and I am needing to buy a new computer, but I dont want Vista. in fact, Vista IS the reason I am not buying a new computer right now. I know, some will say "so why don't you just get a Mac?" Well, I don't want to buy Quark for Mac, allright? We have alot of money tied up in programs for the paper publishing that my Wife "the Editor" does and none of them work with Mac OR Vista. I know I am screw'd... but I don't have to be until my darn 'puter dies for good.

I don't trust Microsoft anymore though, Everytime I update XP the new updates just cause trouble. it's like they are forcing us to go Vista by screwing with our XP. so now I just deal with the perpetual annoying popups reminding me that "automatic updates" is off and whatever.

all I got to say is that if Hillary won the nom, Vista would have been her running mate... :devil:
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
      Dude, I know, some will say "so why don't you just get a Mac?" Well, I don't want to buy Quark for Mac, allright? We have alot of money tied up in programs for the paper publishing that my Wife "the Editor" does and none of them work with Mac OR Vista.:devil:
      There is software for that problem

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN...s&mco=MjQyMzc2

When you decide to switch

You know you want to

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
        Dude, I have yet to meet someone who likes Vista.I don't trust Microsoft anymore though, Everytime I update XP the new updates just cause trouble. it's like they are forcing us to go Vista by screwing with our XP.
        I dont blame you but I will say that even after running XP home for a number of years that XP PRO is much better it has given me a lot less problems and is more backward compatable for older software progs. Some of my friends have swithed to MAC and are very happy and would never go back to "Mr. Microsoft" ever again. I remember when everything was DOS and there was no windows based O/S and sorry windows 3.1 was an enhancment to DOS but it was simple to use. FACT: MAC is back and the prices are coming down and when they do even more so then I will switch. However , for now I am looking into other options for my friend who wants to throw his new computer through the window. Duel boot system with two versions of windows. I did that when I did upgrades with this machine I am still using and it worked very well. The main problem would be if XP PRO has the drivers for the newer hardware machine. STAY TUNED...
        Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 06-16-08, 04:54 PM.

Comment

The challenge to going Mac is the "do over" with a lot of software you may already own. For me to convert to a Mac, it would cost over $5k including the machine. Deal breaker for me.

I have Vista Ulitmate and it was dog slow with a decent vid card, so I got a much more expensive vid card ($500!) and now it's pretty snappy, but still not as fast as XP Pro.
          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Sorry to hear of your woes, all I have to say is :poop: :poop: :poop: :bonk:
            (yeah, that's coming from a mac user, you guessed it ) I do run one of those nifty "imitate-the-pc" apps on my NON-production computer just to test my designs on internet explorer.
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

i am running vista, and liking it just fine so far. been about 4 months on it or so.
              it is the 64 bit version of vista though

it seems fast, and handles the 3d renderings nicely. there have been a few compatibility issues for drivers, but nothing i haven't overcome thus far.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

They're both pieces of steamy crap.

I say use linux. It's free and it works!

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                  They're both pieces of steamy crap.

I say use linux. It's free and it works!
                  There ya go. What version do you use and what do you think is good and bad about it? And is it on your hard drive or is it a "live cd" smaller version ???

Comment

Working...
                  X