Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Scramble or NOT to Scramble That is the Question

Well after getting the body tub off of the $200 Cj5 we discovered that the frame is completly toast from the rear of the transmission back...

So after some careful searching I came across a CJ-8 Scrambler for $3500. I was told that these vehicles are rare about 27k made from 81'-86'. So im kinda lookin at this one alil harder, it needs some love in the body department but other than that the frame is perfect and the motor (a 289 Ford) runs awsome with a T-5 behind it...

The thing is im not quite sure i want to give up on the short wheelbase idea. I spoke with a gentleman that restores Jeeps and he said that it would be in my best intrest to start with somthing alittle more intact. He also asked how tall i was (around 6' 4") kinda sounded like he was fitting me for a jeep! He then told me that if i want to stay with a classic jeep to go with a CJ7 for alittle more leg room but finding a CJ7 in my price range is kind of hard...cuz over east here its either rusted beond repair or its a garage queen. So its hard to decide, what would you guys do if you were in my position? Would you Get the Scrambler and fix it up? Would you look for a CJ7? Or would you go YJ?

Thanks
    Kyle
    $200 78' CJ5, Rusty Floors, and No brakes but a work in progress

no question, I would get the cj-8 scrambler. it has a bit of hang/departure angle on account of the bed, but the 103.5" wheelbase is considered by many to be the ideal. i saw a pretty cherry one in the parking lot at work, from NY no rust, maybe resto'd but definitely not for sale

Replacement tubs are available in steel, glass and aluminum if memory serves.

Get it, get it, get it and if you don't get it, PM me info on it please.

Scrambler homepage (register to read posts, o/w looks empty)
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

My unprofessional opinion: it's unique, rare and sounds like it's a deal. Its very uniqueness requires someone who will give it love and take it out to play. Go for it.

Comment

GET SCRAMBLED without a doubt ! These are awesome vehicles . having a little extra room in a jeep vehicle is a major factor to consider .

Comment

I would give up short wheelbase in a second! I'm actually thinking of stretching my TJ. The only thing you might not like is the large rear overhang. But, they are indeed cool Jeeps!
          Last edited by JeepGal; 12-13-03, 12:21 AM.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Scramble all the way!!!

Do it and don't look back!

The wheelbase is ideal for rock crawling, but the rear overhang is a bit much (easily fixed....with a sawsall!).

Of course if you want a out of the box, ready to crawl scrambler, Scramzilla is for sale....cheap! (last I heard, Seth will let it go for less than 15K). He wants the $$$ for a buggy project (or so I hear).
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Wow seems like a pretty big responce for the scrambler, but the only thing holding me back is the fact thati can only have one passenger but heck who needs more than one anyway....But tommrow im going to take a good look at the underside and the motor and if everything checks out and i can talk my dad into letting me have it shes as good as mine...O yea...no big rocks around here just hills and thick MUD

Kyle

Comment

Make sure to check that frame for any cracks and such.

Comment

Alrighty will do...thanks for the info

Kyle

Comment

You can always modify if you need to haul a couple of kids. A backseat and some belts can be slapped in if necessary. Although I don't approve of cutting sheet metal on collector items (which the Scrambler is).

Comment

Originally posted by qwiksilver
                      ...Although I don't approve of cutting sheet metal on collector items (which the Scrambler is).
                      That is why you put a fiberglass body on top of a Matkins frame. Then you are just cutting fiberglass.

Hmmmm.....on that thought, it really wouldn't be that hard to "build" a scrambler would it? :confused:

Aftermarket body, frame, and suspension, waggy '44s, painless wiring, junk yard engine/tranny/t-case.......hmmmmm......
                      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Get the scrambler. I have a friend that put a YJ hard top on his and now it is an extended cab scrambler. Most YJ parts fit. CJ7's, CJ8's and YJ's are basically the same from the windshield back, except for the extended bed on the CJ8. The angles and measurements are the same.
                        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Well turns out that my dad wont let me get it...so i belive its still down there..my dad thinks that since im going to collage here in 8 months that it wouldnt be the best idea cuz of no real practical room for passangers...so now im left with either a YJ or CJ7?

Thanks for all the input
                          Kyle

Comment

Working...
                          X