Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Court Orders Whistleblower Website Shut Down

In case you haven't heard, this is a big one for us internet folks... in California of all places too.

Wikileaks, a whistleblower website created by journalists committed to transparency in the dissemination of information over the Internet, was shut down under a court order because of pressure from a Swiss bank.

"It's like saying that Time magazine published one page of sensitive material so (someone can) seize the entire magazine and put a lock on their presses."

It really doesn't matter what Wikileaks posted. It's the draconian scope of the order — censorship at its ugliest, with no regard for the First Amendment or due process — that is so very frightening. If this can be done successfully to Wikileaks, it can be done successfully to any website to which those in high places might object.

Commentary and Story
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

I hear the Wikileaks is defying the order and is back up on a new server......check Digg for details.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

I'm glad they are back up. I doubt if the Supreme Court would agree with this court's ruling. Sc&#w the Swiss, freedom of the press and speech outweighs any petty concern of theirs....
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
        .... I doubt if the Supreme Court would agree with this court's ruling.....
        I think it depends on who's financial records were exposed, how influential they are. Sounds to me like the judge 'got a phone call'.
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
        X