Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big bear 1-27

i went up there with the family and a couple of friends for the day. what a day it was.
    the snow really came down for quite a while.

there is quite a bit of snow on the trails, though the main trails seemed to be maintained. (3n-14)
    what a gorgeous place to be.
    the snow came down like a blizzard!

the roads on the way out were a real bitch.
    the tourists were wiping out all over the place, and causing a terrible traffic condition.

going down the front, there was an accident of some sort that had the 18 closed off for hours.
    i heard that it was a "sledder" and i also heard that a vehicle went over the side.
    not sure what irt really was.

i turned on the cb, and was in communication with someone on a base station who was getting me updates on the road conditions, and offering suggestions on how to get down the hill.

we turned around and went for the 38 to go to the 10. right before we got there, they closed that one down.

our last resort was to take the 18 down to lucern...
    heading down this road in the nearly blizzard like conditions was pretty sweet having a jeep capable of staying on the road.

watching these dumb asses in their unchained bimmers sliding into the mountain was something to behold.
    half way down, the traffic stopped.

on the sharpest curve on the road, there was a semi tractor trailer on his way up the hill who couldn't make the turn.
    CRAP! so... we sit, 10 cars from having made it around this mess.

some impatient yahoos seeing us sitting still thought "hey.. lets pass them" so they did.
    now on the uphill side of the semi (the direction he was going) these assholes had the whole road blocked on both sides so there was no where for him to go, no any way to get emergency vehicles in to him.

people are generally stupid.

we finally made it down the hill into the pouring rain.
    over all it was a great time, and a fun experience.

this was not a jeeping run, though i brought my jeep.
    my friend decided to go up that morning in his accord, and i wanted to have a look as well.
    we all had a great time out there.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

wow, next time maybe come down the backside of arrowhead or take the ranch road... both are dirt, but well maintained...

Desert Jewel, help me out on these trail designations...

I don't know about the accord though...
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

i think I saw a black BMWer on the back side of the mountain too off on the side of the ride.......we got nailed late last night and to this afternoon with accumalation of atleast 1 foot. But glad you and your family enjoyed it safely...........there alot of idiots that come up all the time, but i guess they are pretty much everywhere in the world

Comment

Sounds like a fun time! I know you enjoy the snow once in a while and I bet your jeep handled great coming down the mtn. We've been caught up there in the blizzard one Christmas and my jeep had excellent traction all the way home. Go jeep!
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Sounds like fun Erik!

But...where's the wintertime postcard-quality pics???
          -Bob
          '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by steelman View Post
            Sounds like fun Erik!

But...where's the wintertime postcard-quality pics???
            sorry, i didn't even bring the camera.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I bet it was beautiful up there this weekend. Sounds like a great time.
              I think most of us have been stuck in those traffic jams. Don't people check the weather reports?

Check out .

Comment

Working...
              X