Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schmo needs a new job

Hey everybody,

Well it looks like I'm about to embark on a new job search as the company I'm with is going thru another round of layoffs, and my time will most likely be up next week . . . just in time for the holidays!!! Luckily, I'm in a decent position as I've seen this coming for a while and have been able to prepare. I'm at that point in my life, where I'd really like to find a job doing something that I'll really enjoy vs. another job that is really only about the money. My passion is the outdoors, which is why I love the whole Jeepin' thing. I've been thinking a lot about becoming a Park Ranger or perhaps getting involved with a Jeep related company. I'm curious to see if anyone has any insight on where to look, how to get started, or perhaps even a contact.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

US Forest Service Job Openings

Joe,

Here's a link to the U.S. Forest Service Southwest Region Job Openings Site. Good Luck!!

http://outreach.fsr5.com./
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

Joe, Sorry to hear about that. I used to work in an industry that was notorious for lay offs. I finally got tired of wondering one day to the next if I was going to be laid off so, I change profession. Good luck to you.
      Check out .

Comment

i would look into the possibility of working in finance/accounting or something similar (this is what you do, right?), but for a company which is related to the outdoors (camping supply chain, jeep aftermarket manufacturer, etc.)

this way you don't have to re-school but you'd be in the industry.

just my 2 cents...good luck!
        03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Aww, sorry to hear that Joe. Will keep an eye out for ya
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Just a suggestion but the border patrol is hiring. The only reason I say it is I just saw a "border patrol" 2008 4-door Rubicon drive through temecula.
            <><
            4x4him.org

Comment

Joe,
              we talked about this on the way up to Lake Isabella. Who'd a thunk it would come to fuition this quickly. What about the Denver area? You mentioned that too, and I'm here right now, freezing my tukus off. Sure is pretty though. Well, I'm sure you know that if we can help you out we will. Keep us informed.

Kurt
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks Everybody!

I really appreciate the support!!! Funny how small of a world this is sometimes . . . talked to one of my buddies that got laid off from the company I'm with about a year ago . . . just so happens that he currently works with two of the regional managers that I used to hire for (I'm one of those "HeadHunters") . . . so to make a long story short, one of the managers called to tell me they happen to have recruiter openings and want to set up lunch! Still waiting on the word of whether or not I have a job, but damn that call sure came at the right time! It's really weird . . . about a month ago one of my coworkers from a previous job died and my old manager called to inform me and also brought up that we should keep in touch in case I'm ever interested in coming back . . . very bizarre timing, but much appreciated none the less! I'm still thinking about making a life change as I've really stumbled into my career thru necessity vs. desire. Although I have a really hard time complaining, as it's a pretty sweet gig, when I think about it objectively, it's simply not my passion and not something that I want to grow older or whiter doing(I seem to have skipped grey and am going straight for the albino look). I've been thinking about perhaps like maddmike suggested, combining my experience and interest and going into a Jeep related business, perhaps marketing, sales, recruiting, etc. So keep your eyes and ears open and if you hear of something, let me know!

Hey Kurt . . . What was that 3 or 4 weeks ago mentioned I could see this coming . . . forget being a Park Ranger, I should open up a Psychic reading place!!! How long are you going to be in CO? (I should probably know that if I'm going to be a Psychic . . . Oops) I'm tempted to drive out there and meet ya if I do get clipped next week!!! Been really thinking about checking into moving to CO, but have never even been out there and feel silly even talking about it until I do.

Comment

Wow . . . kinda hard for me to believe but I'm still at the same job!!! The company I'm with has now been bought by the exact same company that I left after 14 years . . . thank God I didn't burn any bridges. Another one of those sudden "update" calls happened today and it looks like I'm going to make it thru the 4th or 5th round of layoffs in the last year or so. I had my annual review after the call and at the begining of the meeting, I literally point blanked my manager to make sure it was a review and not an exit interview!!! Still hoping to find something more fulfilling, in a field that is more aligned with my interests, but at the same time, I'm just glad to have another paycheck coming! I guess it's time to upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                    Wow . . . kinda hard for me to believe but I'm still at the same job!!! The company I'm with has now been bought by the exact same company that I left after 14 years . . . thank God I didn't burn any bridges. Another one of those sudden "update" calls happened today and it looks like I'm going to make it thru the 4th or 5th round of layoffs in the last year or so. I had my annual review after the call and at the begining of the meeting, I literally point blanked my manager to make sure it was a review and not an exit interview!!! Still hoping to find something more fulfilling, in a field that is more aligned with my interests, but at the same time, I'm just glad to have another paycheck coming! I guess it's time to upgrade!
                    You mean upgrade the Jeep, or upgrade the Job? Save for a rainy day!
                    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X