Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just curious...vets or cat lovers out there?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious...vets or cat lovers out there?

Do any of you have cats? If so, did your vet ever prescribe Metacam for them? Metacam is used as one-time injections after major surgery. Some vets might prescribe it as a long term for arthritis or other injuries to help decrease inflamation and pain. Reason I am asking is because my vet prescribed it for my cat as a long term use for arthritis. He did blood work on her before hand that showed she had completely healthy kidneys, liver and blood counts. The dosage he prescribed is .2cc's every other day orally. I questioned my vet about the medicine saying the label said it was for dogs only when he first gave it to me. He said it was ok for cats and that I shouldn't worry. Being that he has been my vet for the past 16 years or so I didn't think anything of it and trusted him. It has been 1 month and my cat barely has control of her rear legs. She can barely stand and is constantly falling. She has lost 1 pound in weight in the past month, and seems to be vomiting more then just normal hairballs.
    Soooo...I began to do some research the last couple days. Metacam is for dogs only. Seems that cats livers can not process metacam or any other drug like dogs can. It is known to cause renal kidney failure and damage to the intestines, including internal bleeding on cats. If given orally, it is considered to be over-dosing your cat or even dog for that matter. There are tons of stories online where their vet prescribed just 1 drop of metacam to be put on their cat's food daily and within a couple weeks their cat went into renal failure. 1 drop??? My cat is getting .2cc's every other day orally! Tragically, all the stories lead to death and huge vet bills.
    Jasmine is a registered Himalayan/Persian pure bred cat. She is 12 years old and should have an easy 5-8 more years of life. She is always indoors and has been very healthy her whole life. I have had her since the day she was born!
    If there is anyone out there who has gone thru this with their cat, please let me know. If you are a vet and can give me some help, I'd really appreciate it. If you are an attorney and interested in representing me and this case, please pm me!

Here a couple pictures of Jasmine a few days before she went on the Metacam:

Sorry to hear. I'm really close with my cat.
    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
    WEB site

Comment

As an animal lover, and the adopted parent of a cat (the cat adopted me) I must say that that is absolutely one of the worst stories I have ever heard. Best of luck.
      Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Wow...Julie, so sad to hear this. I dont believe in most of any pills prescribed by any doctor for just about anything.

Most things seem to take care of themselves with good excercise and good eating habits.
        "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
        (Charles Wells)

Comment

Sorry to hear about your cat. Our cat is 15 years old (we've had her for 13 years), and I know it'll definitely be different when she's not around anymore. Best of luck!
          -Bob
          '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words and concern!!

Comment

Working...
            X