Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free Programing Software for Ham Radios!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Programing Software for Ham Radios!

Thanks to Materdaddy for the information on free programing software for our ham radios!

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

I have downloaded it and I'm playing with it. It seems pretty cool. They list a ton of radios the software will work on.

I have a question Mat - If I select "Tone" I will only have tone when I transmit, but if I select "TSQL" I would be transmitting a tone and the tone back from the repeater would only open my radio. Do I have it right?
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Originally posted by Roger View Post
    I have a question Mat - If I select "Tone" I will only have tone when I transmit, but if I select "TSQL" I would be transmitting a tone and the tone back from the repeater would only open my radio. Do I have it right?
    You got it. Some radio software sets it up this way and in most radios it's stored as separate values. That's why it's broken out into two separate fields in Chirp.
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I am going to buy a HAM radio. I just entered HAM radio in Amazon.com and found 100 different radios. I know this is a loaded question but which one do yall recommend I buy? pros/cons?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Ck%3AHAM+radio

also, what accessories do i need to complete the system... antennas, mounts, speakers, etc...

Thanks,
      B

Comment

Start by reading a bit both here and other places: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...-meter-440-rig
        As suggested by Roger, check eham.net. They have a large review section. qrz.com has a decent classified section, and CL occasionally has ham equipment up. That's how I found my radio.

If you're not licensed, you shouldn't worry too much about certain features since you should only be listening. If you are, or are planning on becoming, the features you'll probably want are:

Remote Kit so you can mount the control head easily on the dash, stuff the radio in a tuffy case, under a seat, etc.
        Cross Band Repeat - Be your own repeater!
        Both 2m and 70cm bands - or more
        Power settings - 1/5/50 watt?
        Programming/Ease of Use - Look at reviews, ask specific questions
        Dual Receive - Listen to two frequencies at once
        Dual Receive on all VHF/UHF combinations - V/U V/V U/V U/U
        Individual volume/squelch controls
        Back-lit keys and screen - Nice to have
        Back-lit mic buttons - Nice to have

I've probably missed a couple things that others might chime in with.

Comment

Brett – I’d recommend getting a hand held to learn a little, and then determine what makes sense for what you will do. Here’s what I did.

I started with a $35- class through a local ham club. Half way thorough the class, I bought a hand held radio and learned a little of what it can do. I learned how to code in repeaters, how to save favorites, etc. Then after passing the test I actually talked on it.

I went on a trip with Russ C. and got chance to talk on the trail with it. We talked via simplex, we tried a couple repeaters. I was able to talk to Russ, from Idyllwild, via a Catalina repeater. It wasn’t a great signal, but an amazing example of the range of a little hand held radio.

I’ve since decided to get one hard mounted in the jeep. I decided for my purposes; a simple single band, 2m radio bolted to a cage rail, for $150 would be best. It’s going to get dirty, shaken up, and possible stolen. I didn’t want a more expensive dual band, with remote face plate, etc. Others will use their radios differently and different setups will make sense for them.

Comment

Ham gear can get expensive in a hurry depending on the features. Starting with a handheld is a good Idea, but you will quickly want to add a 50+ watt mobile radio. I am not sold on the Chinese radios we are starting to see. I know the prices are so tempting. It seems that Kenwood, Yeasu, and Icom have been building radios for such a long time and have all the features hams want.

As far as a mobile antenna goes, most of us have base load antennas that are not very long and extend just a few inches above the Jeep top and won't snag on tree branches etc. They are the strongest. Stay away from center load antennas.
            Larson, Diamond, Comet are a few of the popular brands.
            MJR moderator
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by CVD View Post
              I went on a trip with Russ C. and got chance to talk on the trail with it. We talked via simplex, we tried a couple repeaters. I was able to talk to Russ, from Idyllwild, via a Catalina repeater. It wasn’t a great signal, but an amazing example of the range of a little hand held radio.
              One good story deserves another. I was showing off the cross-band repeat functionality to a friend. I setup cross-band repeat from 70cm to 2m so I could use my HT in the office at 1 watt, use the truck as a repeater at 50watts, and talk on the Keller Peak repeater about a hundred miles away. It just so happened Russ was monitoring and answered my call for a radio check. We chatted for a minute and I found out he was on the road to AZ and was approaching Palm Springs on I-10. My office is about 2 miles from the Pacific Ocean in Carlsbad, CA.

Long story short, my friend was hooked and is now a ham as well.

Cliff's recommendation is a good one in buying a cheap HT to play. If you're wanting to replace your CB with something better, the HT will do that well, even with an external antenna and an adapter.

Comment

wow... lots to learn. I think I may start with a basic one and go from there. I will take the course. I have met some of the crew from OAUSA.net and they are nice and offer the test a few times a year.

Thank you again for all of the time, thoughts and ideas! Off to Amazon.com to start searching... ugh

Comment

I know this is Chinese, but I want to start cheap and learn. How does this list look:

ExpertPower® 7.56" Dual Band Two-way Radio Antenna SMA-Female - ExpertPower
                  $11.55

Original Handheld BAOFENG UV-5R Speaker-mic for dual band radio - Sain Store
                  $14.77

BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Improved Stronger Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 Enhanced Version) - BaoFeng
                  $49.99

USB Programming Cable for BAOFENG UV-5R UV-3R+ Two way Radio With Driver CD - BrainyTrade
                  $8.28

Original BAOFENG UV-5R 7.4V 1800 mah Li-ion Battery for dual band radio - Sain Store
                  $12.15

MAGNETIC Mobile ANTENNA Ham Radio 2 Meter / 70 cm 144 - 148 & 440 - 470 MHz
                  $28.97

Subtotal: $125.71

Comment

If you're getting the mag-mount antenna, I wouldn't get the other antenna you have listed first... the rubber ducky it comes w/ is probably good enough for you to tinker until you decide otherwise.

Not sure about the battery either. If you're mounting it in the jeep, (since you're planning on the speaker/mic), you can just plug it in and not worry about the battery going low. The one it comes with will last you for a while if you do plan on taking it out of the jeep to tinker.

Or, they're not that much money, just get 'em.

Comment

That's a good list but I recommend against a mag mount antenna. It is better to install a fixed mobile antenna. Mag mounts can come off and would more likely be damaged in a roll over when you might need it the most.
                      MJR moderator
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

I've used mag mounts and never had one come off. Rare earth magnets are pretty darn strong. As long as the antenna doesn't snag something you'll be fine.

I'm actually thinking it might fair better in a rollover because it might come off instead of breaking/bending. Then you might have a chance of attaching it to something else for communication. Maybe something on the under-side of the Jeep if you can't right the vehicle before needing communication. Also, a fixed antenna would be upside down and the radiation pattern would put your communications into the ground if the Jeep were upside down.

Comment

Not planning on flopping or rolling again for a while

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
                            Not planning on flopping or rolling again for a while
                            Was the one last weekend "planned"? I'm not trying to rub it in, just pointing out that things happen... usually when you least expect it.

Comment

The problem with Jeep and a mag mount antenna is there is really no good place to put it. It looks dorkey on the hood...
                              MJR moderator
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X