Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Low For 2M?

I’m looking at a Kenwood TM-281a ($144- at Universal Radio). I want a small footprint, relatively inexpensive radio. It will be will be fastened to the cage bars in a soft top TJ (easily stolen - don’t want anything too expensive). Reviews are very positive on it and it is supposedly easy to program. My concern is it only has two Tx power settings: 65w and 25w (no 10w or 5w setting).

I know “etiquette” says to use the lowest power setting necessary to make your contacts. Will 25w Tx be annoying to others on the trail (simplex or repeater)?

The Yeasu 1900R ($140-) is my next alternative. It also has a small footprint, seems well liked, and has Tx settings of 55/25/10/5 watts.

BTW – my Wouxun HT has mic connectors that match the Kenwood, thus I’m leaning toward the Kenwood.

Cliff

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Trail communication would typically be simplex so you don't have to worry about frontend overload (see: http://www.brainerdham.org/Tips/Front-End-Overload.html). If our simplex channel is interfering with some other group on a run because of somebody's high output, we could simply have our group move simplex frequencies to an unused one.

Other people may have other opinions, but I typically run my mobile at full power which is 50 watts on the trail, and while driving.

Thanks for reminding me that I still need to install my ham in the new (to me) jeep! It's almost been a year and I haven't done anything except 1 AAT run and Mottino... :-/
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Cliff, I would agree with Mat, there's no problem running high power in the 2m band. HF might be a different story since it acts differently and can travel very long distances. In short range car to car or car to repeater or base station generally doesn't interfere with other people communicating. Having said that, I would add that you should always listen to a frequency before transmitting to be sure it's not in use by others.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
      X