Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 2m Hand held

I just received a Yaesu FT 250 handheld. I ordered it through Amazon. Nice little radio and not too hard to input the channels.

My 22 year old Kenwood handheld recently died....

Before you say it, I did not order the dual bander because where I live, I can't receive or communicate with any 440Mhz repeater. My Yaesu in my Jeep is a dual bander. I never go an any of the 440 repeaters.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Well FWIW if I had to do it over again I would NOT get the FT-60. I would have gone with a straight 2M for my first radio like your FT-250. The FT-60 was a total PITA to program, even with the software, and it was a PITA to use. I sort of have it down now. Additionally, while I can get 440 the vast majority of the 440 repeaters in my area are set up for clubs and private use only. Those nets I listen to and talk to on 440 are also on 2M at the same time. So.... when I purchased a rig for my rig I went with a Yaesu ft-1900 2M. MUCH easier to use and operate.

Comment

Don't feel bad, we learn as we go...
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Let me know how the new radio works out for you. I've been looking at getting that one next month.

Scott
        Come to the dark side.....
        We have Cookies!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
          Don't feel bad, we learn as we go...
          I myself would not want anything less than a dual bander 2 meter 440 radio. This is for a multitude of reasons. First off I rather like the flexibility frequency wise I.E... 2 meter, 440, FRS, GMRS, Coast Guard, Murs, race radio stuff and such. I also use the Win System which most of there machines are on the 440 band. As many places as we tend to go in our four wheel drives having more than just two meter is a good thing. If anyone really wants just a straight 2 meter mobile rig then may as well PM me as any that I have I will be getting rid of so I can buy another dual band rig if not another all band all mode radio as is my FT-847. Just my preference. I like being able to do anything needed if the situation warrants it.
          "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
          X