Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Repeaters For Emergencies?

Does anyone have a link or technique to finding good repeaters to preload for an emergency situation?

I’ve been playing with my radio (Wouxun KG-UV3D) and finding it works fine (the operator is the weak link). Programming it via the computer is simple. But if I had to do it in the field, I’d need the manual and 15 – 20 minutes to re-remember how to do it. So, pre-entering the repeaters makes sense.

If I google “Barstow repeaters”, I find 6 listed (2m or 70cm), all are within a couple miles of town (http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/l...a&city=Barstow) I don’t know which, if any are monitored regularly. I also don’t know which would be best if I’m ~40 miles away (say in the middle of the Mojave Preserve, or Panamint Valley, or any of the remote places we all like to go).

This site lists 200+ So. Calif repeaters. Same problem, I can’t tell which would provide best chance of emergency contact: http://rptrlist.w6jpl.ampr.org/2m.htm

FWIW – so far, I’ve loaded:

Keller Pk (146.385), for Big Bear trips
    Big Bear (147.33)
    Table Mountain/Wrightwood (145.28), a JPL linked repeater
    Barstow (147.18) – know little about it
    Ludlow (147.885) – know little about it
    Monument Pt (147.24) – Anza Borrego/Truckhaven (saw this on MJR post from Russ C)

I’ve also loaded the “common” simplex frequencies: 146.52, 146.55, 146.58, 446.0, & 446.5

Thx,
    Cliff
    KK6ABX

I carry an ARRL repeater book in my jeep. I found no good way to know how populated a repeater is without monitoring it. I find internet postings of repeaters close to popular trails but I still find myself sitting in base camp programing in and scanning. Sooner or later pick yourself up a good mobile in your jeep. It will be easier to program and every now and then I have to put my radio on high power to hit one (not in this area).
    Come to the dark side.....
    We have Cookies!

Comment

Onyx Pk & Johnstone peak are linked and are dedicated for emergency use only: 146.82. There's no PL. Huge coverage area.

A good one for the Mojave Desert is Mt Rodman 147.885 - PL of151.4. It is linked to the Barstow repeater: 147.18 + Pl 151.4 Large coverage of the eastern Mojave and Johnson valley. In an emergency you may have to get to the top of a hill to see mt
      Rodman

Catalina Island has a huge coverage. Even in Lucerne Valley! 147.090 No PL

I couldn't possibly link every repeater you should have but, the link you have posted lists every repeater in So Ca. I am fairly certain they keep it up to date. Since your radio holds a lot of frequencies, go load it up!
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Basically what these guys are saying. Typically before I go somewhere I'm taking my radios I do research and program the radio for the repeaters in the area. In emergencies you'd be surprised how busy repeaters get. Last year when San Diego had that huge power outage, almost every repeater I tried (that are normally silence) were so busy people were taking net control to keep people orderly and informed.

Having the IRRL repeater books are great too. I have 1 that I take with me, but I will likely invest in one for each vehicle since I keep a Wouxun in each vehicle.
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

BTW, you may want to put BLM & Forest Service frequencies in your radio. Even though you can't transmit on them, their repeaters can be a great sources of information while out on the trail. We saw a smoke one time and listened to the fire fighting activities. We heard the call go out to evacuate the campground we were in so we were able to pack up and get out in plenty of time.
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
          X