Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ham

I passed the Technician exam, KK6ABX just posted on FCC web site (now I need to look up and memorize the proper phonetics ). I have a Wouxun KG-UV3D 2m/70cm HT. It seems to work fine (haven’t talked on it yet). On –line reviews seem very positive. I just need to spend time with it for the steps to sink in (programming via software is easy, manually is not).

Looking forward to trying it out on the next trip.

Cliff

Congratulations! Nice to have another Ham on MJR!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

:beer: Congrats on your test and new radio
      Dennis and Tammy
      Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Congrats! Now I'll have someone to talk to on the way down to the Sizzler next month! hehehe
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

73s
          LG
          Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by CVD View Post
            ... (now I need to look up and memorize the proper phonetics ). Cliff
            Kilo kilo six alpha bravo x-ray
            MJR moderator
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger - thanks (I had looked up the phonetics – it’s an easy one to remember).

Today, I finally had a chance to try transmitting. I tried a couple CQ’s on 2M (146.54, 146.55. 146.56). No response – had me wondering if the radio really was transmitting.

I then scanned through the repeaters that Ham Radio Outlet had preloaded on the HT. I found a couple guys talking on WIN. I had WIN loaded for 70cm at Santiago Peak and 2m at Sunset Ridge. Santiago Peak came in clearer; not sure if it was because 70cm is clearer, or because Santiago Peak is closer to Corona. I joined their conversation on 70cm. Soon was joined by guys from Irvine, Reno, Toronto, Seattle, North Carolina, and England. They told me I was coming through fine. Basic communication is working! (radio and operator)

Roger – I’ll be camping at Cougar Buttes next weekend (Fri afternoon to Sunday morning). I believe you live in HT simplex range. I may try the MRJ frequencies (146.55 & 146.58) to see if you, or anyone else is listening.

Cliff

Comment

Nice! I've been wanting to try and get setup for HAM. I do alot of cross country driving, and quite often I'll be in areas where there are no cellphone, and no CB contact with anyone.

Not that I want to chat the whole way across, but if I were ever in serious trouble, or came across someone else who was in serious trouble, I'd like to have a better chance of communicating to the outside world to get emergency help
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Roger – I’ll be camping at Cougar Buttes next weekend (Fri afternoon to Sunday morning). I believe you live in HT simplex range. I may try the MRJ frequencies (146.55 & 146.58) to see if you, or anyone else is listening.

Cliff
                  You have to text him first hehehe
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                    Nice! I've been wanting to try and get setup for HAM. I do alot of cross country driving, and quite often I'll be in areas where there are no cellphone, and no CB contact with anyone.

Not that I want to chat the whole way across, but if I were ever in serious trouble, or came across someone else who was in serious trouble, I'd like to have a better chance of communicating to the outside world to get emergency help
                    Emergency communication is the main reason I went through the process. I’d hate to be in a remote spot (e.g. Mojave Preserve, Death Valley, Dusy Ershim), have an emergency in the group (broken leg, snake bite, heart problem), and have no quick way to communicate. Some of the guys I wheel with are getting up there in age, never know when they will need help (I was born in the same year, but am not as old – use my own math).
                    Cliff

Comment

In a true "emergency", FCC lic. rules do not apply. BTDT......
                      73's
                      K6MTY.......inactive
                      LG

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                        In a true "emergency", FCC lic. rules do not apply. BTDT......
                        73's
                        K6MTY.......inactive
                        LG
                        Right....but, if I hadn't studied to take the test, I wouldn't have figured out how to use the radio.

Comment

Sarah is correct the only radio I have working is in my Jeep. Rats chewed up my base station coax where it runs through the garage and there's a short in my hand held that drains the battery. Perfect for a guy who tries to always be prepared...
                          146.445 MHz is the common simplex frequency in Lucerne Valley. There are a couple of disabled gentlemen that are usually monitoring and would be glad to chit-chat with you or get you emergency assistance if needed.

If I am on the radio, I would only be monitoring the 146.445 MHz frequency, so try that.

I'll be in Victorville Saturday working on the Imus for Congress campaign at the Victorville gun show.
                          Last edited by Roger; 10-23-12, 11:50 PM.
                          MJR moderator
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

Radio is easy......know'n the correct 'freks', is more important.
                            LG

Comment

I passed the Technician exam, KK6ABX
                              Congrats,... you might want to fill out a profile on QRZ.com as that is where everyone goes to look up ham call signs. Not mandatory but kinda adds to the fun of it all. You might want to look into a local ham club as well. Tons of knowledge and free as well as deals on equipment. Also, every thursday night on the Keller peak repeater at 7:30 pm is an Off Road oriented net from OAUSA Two meter is fun but HF is More fun. See my logbook on QRZ (click link on my signature line below) Enjoy the new hobby. 73 KB6MAT Vice President for Victor Valley Amateur Radio Club.
                              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
                              X