Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prep for Technician license?

What are the recommended steps for preparing for the ham license test? Is there a particular book to start with? I missed the class that was mentioned a couple months ago on the AAT board. Is there another recommended class (in Inland Empire)?
    Cliff

Taking a class is a good idea, but by no means is it necessary, especially for the Tech class. The class I took basically went over each test question and correct answer with a small story/explanation as to why the correct answer was right. That helped reinforce for the test, administered shortly after the class.

Tech is easy enough you shouldn't even buy a book. Simply read all test questions with the correct answers (easily found online) and then take practice tests on qrz.com: http://www.qrz.com/ht/?op=start&t=t2010 Once you consistently pass the tests, you're ready.
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
      Taking a class is a good idea, but by no means is it necessary, especially for the Tech class. The class I took basically went over each test question and correct answer with a small story/explanation as to why the correct answer was right. That helped reinforce for the test, administered shortly after the class.

Tech is easy enough you shouldn't even buy a book. Simply read all test questions with the correct answers (easily found online) and then take practice tests on qrz.com: http://www.qrz.com/ht/?op=start&t=t2010 Once you consistently pass the tests, you're ready.
      That is exactly what I did.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Matt & Doug - Thanks, I'll try those practice exams.

I'll also take a class. Found one in Rancho Cucamonga; will take it at the end of this month.

http://www.w6ier.org/index_files/Page640.htm

Comment

CVD, I too passed my test using the above method. Unfortunately, I went to an event the night before and got home very late so I did not get much sleep. I showed up for class, every person read a question, the answer was explained and we took the test right afterwards. I am not ashamed to admit that I had to take it twice and I admit, I was running on fumes during the class and I am new to HAM, but I passed.
          2004 TJ X
          Callsign: KJ6DHG

Comment

Congratulations Ironbelle! What's your call sign?

CVD,
            I took my tests (novice & Tech) back in 1987 before there was the internet. I bought the book from Radio Shack . I read each question and with a yellow highlighter, I marked the correct answer and never looked at the wrong answers. I read them over a few times and on some of them I would concentrate on a key word or two in the answer. Worked great for me.

Gordem West has great study materials. Google his website. It's prety easy to find
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by ironbelle View Post
              I am not ashamed to admit that I had to take it twice and I admit, I was running on fumes during the class and I am new to HAM, but I passed.
              You passed, that is what matters,(CONGRATS) Then what matters is what you are going to do with that license and what kind of radio are you getting. ???
              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Cliff,

If you have an iPhone or an Android you can download an app with all the Tech Questions for free. I did this and just kept taking practice tests on my phone every day. Did not take long and I was getting all the answers correct. The hardest part was taking for the next test in my area. On line stuff is great but it was nice to take a quick practice test throughout the day during a lunch or coffee break or during a commercial at night.

Good luck
                W6RKW

Comment

Working...
                X