Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ham Radio Questions ?????

Going to get my Ham license. What is a good hand held radio to start with???
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

I'm sure you will get lots of input on this! My opinion is get a Dual band 2m/70cm and stick with either a Yaesu or Kenwood in your budget range. Play with it until you find it lacking and then add it to your collection or sell it and upgrade. Good luck.

Comment

In my opinion.... buy a cheapie Wouxun hand held. Then you cans spend your money on a good mobile unit for your Jeep. Check out www.wouxun.us
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I recommend against a hand held for your first radio. Buy a mobile rig first and a mobile high gain antenna. With 45 to 60 watts, you will really appreciate what ham radio can do.

Be sure to get the programming software & cable. Trust me on this!
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

the wouxons HT's are a super cheap way to get in to it and work very well for a HT, but like Roger said with 45-60 watts and a decent antenna you will really see what ham is all about. the range is amazing in simplex and with range means long range hits into repeaters. 2m/440 is really worth it just for the winsystem in cali. either way prepare to hate CB from now on lol

wouxon KG-UV920R mobile is coming and is likely to be great bang for the buck
          KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

If you have an andriod phone, or iPhone, check out Echolink. (There is PC software too).

Once you have your license, and you get "verified" with echolink, you can use many repeaters around the work by simply connecting to the repeater using the echolink application and talk on the air.

My opinion is similar to Scott/Roger. Mobile units are nice, but I enjoy my HT. If I were starting fresh again, I'd go for the ~$120 wouxun HT and spend a little more on a good radio for the Jeep.
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
              Going to get my Ham license. What is a good hand held radio to start with???
              Congrats! There should be a linked repeater near you that we can talk on! Rick and I got the Yaesu 6R because it's water-resistent, dual band and has lots of neat accessories.
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I have a VX-7R (similar to the 6R that Rick & Sarah have). I bought it because I found it used for quite a deal. The 6R/7R/8R are all very capable HTs.

Comment

Another day...
                  Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 09-08-20, 08:43 AM.
                  "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt2001TJ View Post
                    Kb6mat/ag
                    Congrats!

Comment

Thanks,... today I will be putting up my inverted V and put my Alinco DX-70 HF rig to work...
                      http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/109 I wish I could have got a nicer radio but for 300 bucks for something I can take in my jeep as well this was about as good as I could afford.
                      Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 05-30-11, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                        Congrats!
                        I am working 20 meter all over the USA,... fun fun fun...
                        Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 05-30-11, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Awesome. The closest to an HF contact I had was sitting around on a 25 watt solar rig working 10m two friends and I made a contact in FL. I don't have an HF rig, nor any antenna setup yet.

Comment

!0 meter is still lots of fun. Start looking around for a used HF rig and an antenna tuner. After that you can just make a dipole. The G5RV I have is just to dang big for what very limited space I have to deal with. So,...yesterday morning I put up a post on the QRZ "wanted" section of the forum for a used multi band vertical. I had several people reply one was a guy right here in Apple Valley with a Hustler 5-BTV that I got for 40 bucks last night. Problem is the ground radials that is required with that antenna which I do NOT have. If I can not get that working rather quickly to my satisfaction then I will just make (ill make one anyway what the hell) a 20 meter dipole 16 ft. 5 in. wire on each side with your connector inverted V and to my tuner and go on 20 meter and play.

Comment

Working...
                            X