Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn me about 2m radios

Lets say that I decided to get my HAM ticket. What 2M radios do ya'll like/ Recomend? What price are we talking about?

Do I need to match the antenna like a CB?

This will get you started:
    - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=24082

and:
    - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ead.php?t=9540

Note: I longer am an advocate of the Icom 208. It's too hard to use, and the manual sucks. It works fine, but I don't use it enough to remember how to use it, and it's not intuitive at ALL.
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

to add to the complexity...you might want a dual band radio because we have so much 440 (70cm) in california. if that doesnt interest you then a real popular 2m is the Yaesu FT-2900R. its cheap, powerful and built rugged in a normal sized package.

the antennas are band matched. so you would need a 2m antenna, but antenna tuning isnt really stressed. i think its because with 50 watts of power things dont get much better compaired to the 4 watts of CB where every cent counts
      KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

I have not forgotten about this thread. I've been taking the practice tests on QRZ.com and I'm just dumb I guess.

I know how to read a Schematic, find Amps used by dividing watts by volts, a Diode will only pass power 1 direction etc but I can't pass any of the tests.

Some of the questions are just dumb. I have no reason to play music for some Astronaut in space or talk to military people. I just want to hear what you guys are saying about me

Comment

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
          I have not forgotten about this thread. I've been taking the practice tests on QRZ.com and I'm just dumb I guess.
          I know how to read a Schematic, find Amps used by dividing watts by volts, a Diode will only pass power 1 direction etc but I can't pass any of the tests.
          Taking a class is an option and really not a bad idea

January 27, 2011 - Pre registration for February class

Registration Deadline for February Technician Training Class
          $45 advanced registration, $55 at the door

February 5, 2011 - Technician Training Class #1, 0800-1600 hrs
          $45 advanced registration, $55 at the door.
          Fire Station 311
          San Bernardino County Fairgrounds, Victorville (off 7th Street)
          February 12, 2011 - Technician Training Class #2, 0800-1600 hrs
          Fire Station 311
          February 19, 2011 - Technician Training Class #3, 0800-1200 hrs
          Fire Station 311
          February 19, 2011 - FCC License Exam (All Classes), 1230-1500 hrs
          $14 cash (no checks or credit cards), government-issued photo ID and copy of current amateur radio license (if any) required.

If you are interested send me a pm as I am a member of the club that is teaching the class and I can get you any needed information. Or just get a book and read it cover to cover and you will pass the test if you do that.
          "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
          X