Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Cobra 148 GTL ST

So, I picked up this CB today off craig's list. It didn't come with the power cord, so I went to radio shack to get one. The CB has three pins, the plug has three holes, but only two wires, is this correct?

The plug had the 148 GTL listed as compatible, I don't know if the ST is any different in the plug area.

Thanks!

Here's some info on the radio:

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl/index.htm

The schematic diagram shows only 2 pins are used:

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra...sch_b_size.pdf

Comment

OK, I see it now. Thanks!!

Comment

The plug should only go in one way.

Comment

Yes, it is the standard plug with the one end that is pointed. I actually just fired it up a few minutes ago and it looks like it is working fine. I did a quick SWR check with the magnetic base whip antenna it came with and was about 1.3 or so (just sitting on the shelf in my shop. Hopefully tomorrow I will get it mounted in my jeep and see what is what...

My first CB, any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jonah View Post
            My first CB, any advice is welcome.
            That radio has SSB which you probly will never use. Most 4x4 runs use AM channel 4. Channel 35 through 40 is used by the SSB guys and theres a non written agreement that the AM guys won't talk on those 5 channels and the SSB guys wont go below channel 35.

Where are you mounting that monster of a radio?

Comment

Man I don't know, because it is huge. My thought is to mount it to the back of the center console (after I build it). My only concern then is being able to hear it. I could put it on the "b" pillar hoop but it might be a head knocker there.

I was about to get a little unidens, but when this came up on Craig's list I couldn't resist - lights, dials, meter, shiny chrome face....:drool:

Thanks for the channel info, I had no idea.

Comment

I built an overhead mount for my CB. This pic is a Galaxy 99 and it's the same size as your 148. This is the only place I could find for it.

I really like it up there. The speaker is pointing down so hearing it is not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jonah View Post
                  My thought is to mount it to the back of the center console (after I build it). My only concern then is being able to hear it.
                  I like looking at mine. But if you mount it somewhere out of the way You can buy an external speaker that will plug into the back of it.

Any truckstop will have the speaker as well as online places.

http://www.copper.com/cart/product_i...roducts_id=528

Comment

Yeah, I like the idea of being able to see it. I could fab something up to make it go into that area. Probably a couple of tabs off the "A" pillar hoop would do. I need to take a look at it. One issue is that I don't have a top, so having a way to keep it out of the weather would be good, not to mention security issues.

Comment

Dx/148 mounting

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
                      That radio has SSB which you probly will never use. Most 4x4 runs use AM channel 4. Channel 35 through 40 is used by the SSB guys and theres a non written agreement that the AM guys won't talk on those 5 channels and the SSB guys wont go below channel 35.

Where are you mounting that monster of a radio?
                      if you can find anyone left on ssb on those channels is more like it. 38 lower was most common and in the 23 ch. days it was 17 on sideband. Lots of mods can be done to that radio to should we say enhance it's performance and then some. Either way, As for mounting I used a ratchet strap to mount my DX radio or my 148 based radio to the passenger side of the factory speaker/rollbar assembly in a TJ as noted in the pic for the purpose of simplicity.

"Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Fire in the wire! I've got a 250HD under my rear seat.

Comment

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
                          Fire in the wire! I've got a 250HD under my rear seat.
                          Ya,... I used to run a Texas Star HD 250 also. It was my driver amp for my Texas Star "Sweet Sixteen".....ah,... the old days of hell....the stories I could tell...
                          "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

On going saga....

It seems that my radio only wants to transmit in LSB. When I go to AM others can hear the mic key and a very faint transmission. When I tuned the antenna with the built in meter I got 1.5. Now it is a little over 2, but the meter is acting funny (won't go down to zero ever, even messing with the calibration knob, or when turned off). Is it time to take it to a shop? Throw it out? Smash it with a hammer?

Comment

Is the mic gain turned up?

Comment

Working...
                              X