Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep Patrol & Ham Radio

I wanted to bring up how Amateur Radio played an important part in today's Jeep Patrol event in big Bear.

There was a command post set up and staffed by Volunteers from the SBCO Fire Dept. Emergency communications group. I'm not sure of their correct name. This was called "Jeep Command"

They operated two radios under a pop-up shade structure, which was perfect since we had rain most of the afternoon.

They covered two repeaters:
    The big Bear Repeater at 147.33 Mhz
    The Bertha Pk Repeater at 145.18 Mhz.
    Between these two repeaters, just about the whole mountain area was covered.

They had large vinyl covered map of the the SBNF and a list of all the teams going out and the area each team was assigned to cover.

Each team had a ham radio operator assigned to it. Now these were just from a pool of people that volunteered today such as myself that were licensed hams.

Our instructions were:
    Keep in contact with Jeep Command and notify them of the trail number the team was on. They tracked this information on the large map using grease pencils.
    Contact them if a large trash pile was discovered. This would be one that was more than could be reasonably collected by the team. We came across a large trash and radioed in the lat/long for the location of it.
    We were to contact them for any medical emergency, or need for law enforcement.
    We were to contact them for any vehicle break-down that would require getting assistance of a tow truck.

The operator's were well seasoned hams and they did a great job. It would have been great for some of our newer hams to hear them and pick up a few pointers of proper radio procedures during an emergency.

They played an important role today keeping track of over 110 Jeeps in 10 to 12 teams.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

i listened in all afternoon from cougar buttes. i caught the use of "clear". in usage it sounded like it was comparable with the military "out"

i figured you guys were up there today and tryed calling in the morning, but that was before the jeep command traffic was up so you guys might not have been on the trail yet.

it was cool hearing the different teams call in and report the rain as it came in.
    is bertha pk repeater a open one? i dont have that one on my list
    KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Cool story (except the lat/long part). They should have used UTM so they could accurately put dots on their maps where the trash piles were.
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Sigh. Ive been a ham for 3 years and have yet to figure out how to use this thing. I dint think it even works anymore.
        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
          Cool story (except the lat/long part). They should have used UTM so they could accurately put dots on their maps where the trash piles were.
          I thought the same thing. I couldn't imagine Jeeping with out a Ham radio.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I thought the same thing...

Mat & Scott - in fairness to the hams that staffed the Command center, they were all quite elderly, probably late 70's.

They may not be up on the latest technology, but they're still out there volunteering their time. They have my thanks for a job well done. May you both be volunteering your time when you reach their age!
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
              Mat & Scott - in fairness to the hams that staffed the Command center, they were all quite elderly, probably late 70's.

They may not be up on the latest technology, but they're still out there volunteering their time. They have my thanks for a job well done. May you both be volunteering your time when you reach their age!
              Exactly how old? UTM was derived in the 1940s, I figure anybody who is adept enough to learn enough electronics to get licensed for ham ought be able to learn multiple coordinate systems.

Also... I didn't mean anything inflammatory by the comment, just injecting my usual "bias" against lat/long and UTM. After the map & compass class, it's hard to see why lat/long is so popular with land navigation.

Comment

UTM only please.

Using UTM, I can find myself on a map within a couple hundred meters easily, with no template. With a template, you can easily get withing 10 meters.

Comment

i hope MJR has another ham feild day in the spring.
                  im hoping this radio:
                  http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=266831
                  will get more people into ham with is price likly to be cheap
                  KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy162 View Post
                    i hope MJR has another ham feild day in the spring.
                    im hoping this radio:
                    http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=266831
                    will get more people into ham with is price likly to be cheap
                    Hmm,... interesting. Ill bet the price will be much better than anything comparable feature wise. Looks a lot like a yaesu

Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 10-20-10, 05:52 PM.
                    "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

I'm anxious to see more about that radio!

Comment

I'm anxious to see more about that radio!
                        Me too. Here is more good news. From what I heard it's in the $150-$200 price range. Move over Kenwood Icom and yaesu it's been a long time coming.
                        "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
                        X