Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what am i doing wrong with my antenna, please help!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what am i doing wrong with my antenna, please help!

I have a 5 foot firestick II antenna for my cb. I keep chewing up the threads on the antenna "stud" itself. I'm on my 5th one and its driving me nuts. Idk if its the antenna the stud on the cabel or if its me. I'm not one of the guys that takes it off and puts it on all the time and if I do take it off its to fit in the structure at the mall (very rarely) and when I do I make sure to tighten it and never leave it hand tight.
    Any suggestions or ideas?

Is it possible that you are over tightening it? That stuff is soft metal.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I had the same problem with the longer "Firesticks". I finally went to the shorter one that did not move around so much and the problem was solved. It did not change the cb range that I had anyway.

Hope that helps...
      offroadwerkz.com
      (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

What length do you recomend? Like a 3 foot?

Comment

It depends on where it's mounted. If it's on the body, 4' should be okay
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Its mounted almost at the top of my carrier. Mainly because I'm uneducated in antennas and if its mounted the highest I can go with the longest one I'll get reception from here to the "moon", I have a feeling I assumed that wrong?

Comment

Normally, higher is better when it comes to antennas. However; for talking to other members while wheeling in a group, higher doesn't make much of a difference.

A thought, as high as you have it mounted, are you hitting low branches or garage door openings? Those will destroy an antenna in no time.
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

I've never liked the firestiks for that very reason. They're to stiff and unless spring mounted they really put a beating on the mount and base of the antenna.... I really like the "Wilson Flex" you can bend the thing 180 and it has great gain. So maybe spring mount that thing if you insist on using firestik

Comment

I'm not really hitting any branches I do mostly gorman and that's all open

But I'll try the spring I have one in the garage because I thought it was "cool" when I started building my Jeep and then someone told me it cut down range. And as far as using the firestick again I'm uneducated in this field and that's what most the guys at Attco (in Castaic) run on their trucks

Comment

Originally posted by 4wheelinmike View Post
                    What length do you recomend? Like a 3 foot?
                    Bigger is better...LOL...
                    "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

I'm not a pro in this area but I dont think it matters that much. Get your SWR set right and you should be good. When you are wheeling with other jeepers I'm sure you will be able to communicate with them even with a 3' antenna.
                      I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Originally posted by platnumb4x View Post
                        I'm not a pro in this area but I dont think it matters that much. Get your SWR set right and you should be good. When you are wheeling with other jeepers I'm sure you will be able to communicate with them even with a 3' antenna.
                        Agreed,... if it is set up right then that is the big one right there. As for length and destruction of you antenna if you hit things with it as well as it's location on your rig...Well,... we could go over this forever. As long as you have a good SWR then that is the best beginning. After all you will be talking on the trail to other jeeps not talking long distance around the USA.
                        "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

I don't care much for the 3ft and shorter antennas. I cant get a decient SWR on all 40. I can set it on say ch20 @ 1.5 and it will be 3.0 on ch1 and ch40.

No problems with the 4ft and longer ones though.

I wonder if the threads in your mount are damaged. I've ran all sorts of different antennas trying to find the best for my application and have never had one eat the threads. I always put a 3/8th lock washer on mine where it screws to the mount too.

Comment

Working...
                          X