Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ham plate

Ive had the plate for a few weeks. Had to wait on new stickers. Its awesome.

Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

King Jack Six, Call off Bets!

Or something about a liberty
    An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Sean, Google the Puxing px-777. Thats the radio you need. I think Ill be buying one after my backpacing trip.

video review:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OETgT3MtIbc
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

What happened to the wouxun?

http://www.wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/KG-UVD1P.htm
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
          (I think) I already talked Scott into the wouxun because there is no dual band puxing. The KG-UVD1P looks like the ticket. Note the "P" at the end, it's the updated model with DTMF support.

I need to figure out DTMF on my Yaesu VX-7R because apparently you can use it to control my Kenwood TM-V71A when using cross band repeat!
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Scott - is that a state issued Amateur Radio plate or a vanity plate?

Looks good!
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

That plate is a Amateur Radio plate not a Vanity plates. The Amateur radio plates are much cheaper. They are about $20 and you only have to pay once. With vanity plates I think you pay more every year.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I am on board for the Wouxun. That Puxin777 can be had for about $60 though. I wouldn't mind having one of those also. I spent twice that on my 2m only mobile unit.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

The chinese radios are okay--good for the price.

One thing to watch for is the antenna connection. Some have the same SMA polarity as network equipment--backwards from everyone else.

To use with a better antenna you have to buy their adapters.

One advantage to the Wouxun is that you can get a cheap dual-band with 2 meters and 220 MHz. There are a lot of 220 repeaters around, including several linked systems with very wide coverage. The Wouxun dual-band costs much less than a single band 220.

With a speaker mic and decent antenna one of the chinese radios makes for an andequate rig for most uses.

What doesn't get publisized much is that the chipsets in japanese radios are made in Taiwan,Hong Kong, or Thailand--by the same companies that make the chinese rigs.

The fit form and function are better on the major brands, but the cheaper radios are okay to start with.

My 2 cents--refunds available on request.

Dave_W6DPS

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS View Post
                    The chinese radios are okay--good for the price.

One thing to watch for is the antenna connection. Some have the same SMA polarity as network equipment--backwards from everyone else.

To use with a better antenna you have to buy their adapters.

One advantage to the Wouxun is that you can get a cheap dual-band with 2 meters and 220 MHz. There are a lot of 220 repeaters around, including several linked systems with very wide coverage. The Wouxun dual-band costs much less than a single band 220.

With a speaker mic and decent antenna one of the chinese radios makes for an andequate rig for most uses.

What doesn't get publisized much is that the chipsets in japanese radios are made in Taiwan,Hong Kong, or Thailand--by the same companies that make the chinese rigs.

The fit form and function are better on the major brands, but the cheaper radios are okay to start with.

My 2 cents--refunds available on request.

Dave_W6DPS
                    A good lookin plate Scott. Also, I looked at this radio too. Bang for the buck it is the way to go if on a budget. Some reviews on eham.net About half of what I paid for my Yaesu VX-6R
                    http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8524
                    Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 07-31-10, 08:10 AM.
                    "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Took forever, but mine are finally here:

Comment

i like the plates! very cool stuff and glad to hear its not an annual charge.

off topic but these cheap HT's are interesting. looks like the KG-UVD1 and KG-UVD1P are hard to beat. the non "P" version seems to come with a better battery then the updated P?

edit: found it...they both have the nice li-ion battery.
                        Last edited by troyboy162; 10-16-10, 07:35 AM. Reason: found it
                        KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

The P has DTMF. If you get one, make sure it's that one!

Comment

I considered getting the plate when I made Extra in 1992 - But it's too easy for someone to look up where you live so I didn't.
                            -- Warren
                            1999 SE

Comment

Most non-hams don't know what it means. And for the hams that do know. Home is where my guns live.:gun:
                              Those left standing
                              Will make millions
                              Writing books on ways
                              It should have been
                              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                              X