Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't my FCC ULS search by name work?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't my FCC ULS search by name work?

I've been looking up anyone I know who has a Ham licence at this URL:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/

No one comes up when I put their name in.

For instance, I put my old high school buddy in there named Scott Avery, it doesn't find him.

However, if I enter his call sign WA6LIE, it comes back with his name.

What am I doing wrong?

The reason I ask is that I want to be able to look myself up later this week to find out what my call sign is.

Christian
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

From your link, you click license search, which takes you here: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...rchLicense.jsp

The only thing I can think is that their search database was down, broken, etc. or you didn't change the drop-down before the search bar to say "By Name" from the default of "By Callsign"... ??? Try again? I just did a name search and it worked fine.
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
      From your link, you click license search, which takes you here: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...rchLicense.jsp

The only thing I can think is that their search database was down, broken, etc. or you didn't change the drop-down before the search bar to say "By Name" from the default of "By Callsign"... ??? Try again? I just did a name search and it worked fine.
      That's exactly what I did before.

I just tried it again and it gave me the same answer:

No matches found To try again, you can perform a new search or refine your existing search.
      I just tried a couple of names and it didn't work. I did change the drop down menu to "By Name" instead of "By Call Sign." It does work if I try a search of the call sign.

I've closed the browser and rebooted the computer too. I've also tried viewing the page with the browser using "compatability view."

I haven't tried it from another computer yet, but it looks like I've got some sort of compatability issue. I'm running IE 8 and Windows XP. Everything is running with the latest patches.

Christian
      "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

I just figured it out.

I have to enter the name in all caps and it has to use the following syntax:

AVERY, SCOTT

"Scott Avery" and "Avery, Scott" didn't work for me.

Now I can check later in the week to see what my call sign will be.

Christian

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
          I'm running IE 8 and Windows XP. Everything is running with the latest patches.
          Well there's your problem... :devil:

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
          I just figured it out.

I have to enter the name in all caps and it has to use the following syntax:

AVERY, SCOTT

"Scott Avery" and "Avery, Scott" didn't work for me.

Now I can check later in the week to see what my call sign will be.

Christian
          Interesting. I think that has to do with how the name was entered in the database, and their search being case-sensitive. I use typical capital first letter, lower-case rest of name for the name I tested. Glad you figured it out!
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

An easier way is to go to www.qrz.com and use their name search. You can search by name, zip code, just about anything on the license.

It is more forgiving than the FCC site.

Want to see how many of your neighbors are hams? Just search there by zip or city name.

Dave_W6DPS

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS View Post
              An easier way is to go to www.qrz.com and use their name search. You can search by name, zip code, just about anything on the license.

It is more forgiving than the FCC site.

Want to see how many of your neighbors are hams? Just search there by zip or city name.

Dave_W6DPS
              I popped over to qrz.com and found their database search.

This was a much nicer search engine to use.

Thanks!

Christian

Comment

Working...
              X