Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I passed my Technician exam

Sarah's thread about passing the test before it changes at the end of the month motivated me to "git er done."

Mat was kind enough to lay out a path for me in Sarah's thread.

Late yesterday morning I downloaded the test with only the answers on it. I read it once very carefully, which took about 2 hours for 200 questions. Then I took 10 of the 100 practice tests available on qrz.com and was passing them consistently with between 91% and 100%.

According to the list that Sarah provided a linke to, the soonest and closest test I could take was this morning in Downey, CA and they could take walk-ins.

So, I showed up, took the test and passed with 94.3%.

I was told that it takes about a week before I have my call sign.

According to the certificate I got, I'll be able to check for my call sign on line at http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/ by my name and location.

Soon, I'll probably shop for a radio.

Is it like a CB, where you want to get a mobile unit before you get a handheld unit?

I'll start doing my research on which models to get now, so I'm ready to pull the trigger when I start working again on a regular basis.

If anyone is on the fence about doing this, I recommend you just go for it. It was actually a painless process and took very little study time.

Christian
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Congrats and welcome to ham radio!

You'll get mixed answers on whether to start with an HT or mobile rig -- it really depends on your situation and what you'd like to do.

I started with an HT because the little Yaesu VX-5R just happened to strike my fancy (this was almost a decade ago) but purchased a 50-watt mobile soon after.

I was able to get out quite a ways with that HT from home on 5 watts on 2 meters (through a vertical I mounted up on my chimney) but the 50-watt mobile (with a good quality roof-mounted antenna) worked even better (you typically won't get very good TX/RX with an HT from inside a vehicle, and you'll be limited substantially in output power; although could easily connect your HT to a roof-mounted antenna in a pinch).

A good mobile rig will work double duty as a mobile & base station (with the appropriate power supply).

An HT is nice to have for when you're out hiking or away from your vehicle.

Hope that helps!

Rob

Comment

Congrats Christian!

I always advise "moblie first" - especially for 4WD folks. The first time you're trying to talk on the radio and drive at the same time - and have to drop that $$ "microphone" of an HT, you'll realize why
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY
      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Thanks Rob and Jeff,

I hadn't really thought about having to drop the "mic" on the HT (which I guess means dropping the HT), but now that I think about it I drop the mic on my CB all the time.

Also, I'm now realizing that the HT is going to be about 5 watts and the mobile will probably start out with 50 watts.

This makes me think that I should go with the mobile first and the HT second. I can use the HT in conjunction with a well placed mobile to get better results when out hiking too.

Now starts the search for the right mobile. Is there a defacto full featured mobile that's really tough for bouncing around in a Jeep?

I'm also going to have to figure out where to mount everything. I think I'm going to need to reorganize the stuff under my dash to make some room.

Christian
        "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Congrats on the license, you are really going enjoy the ham radio
          I would suggest getting a mobile unit first, 2 meter is the most popular around here but a 2meter 70 cm unit covers a lot of radio space for not much more.
          And after that a HT for when you are out of the jeep is nice, Range is the mobiles key feature but that HT on a repeater frequency gets you way out there.
          Yeasu has a nice radio for the mobile that is extra tough to put up with the abuse we put radios through in open top jeeps, the ft2900r. I have been running a older version of the unit for years just on the floorboard bouncing around for over 4 years, great unit to look at.
          censored for having an opinion

Comment

Thanks, Jim.

I'll check out the Yeasu units.

Can any of you suggest reputable places to buy Ham equipment?

Thanks.

Christian

Comment

You will quickly outgrow a 2m only. Scott (OU812) already wants a 2m/440 so I'd get the most your wallet can handle. I picked up the Kenwood TM-V71A, which I like. The most comparable Yaesu is the FT-8900R which shares things like dual-receive, multiple bands, cross band repeat, etc. There seems to be a lot of Yaesu followers out there, but the Kenwood/Icom units seem to work well too.

I also have a Yaesu VX-7R, which is a very nice HT. It has dual receive, 4 bands, (freeband mod makes it so I can transmit narrow/wide FM, AM, etc.). I picked it up used, just waiting and bidding on eBay, calling people on craigslist, etc. until I found a deal.

If you're buying online, one of the cheaper places I've found is GigaParts, although I've purchased both my radios used via craigslist/ebay, so I can't comment on their service. I do have a neighbor who has purchased some of his ham equipment from them.
              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I would like to say a point about outgrowing 2 meter. As 4x4 communication, 2 meter has served me well, if I had use for more bands in the jeep, it would not be just 1 band. As far as a mobile rig inthe jeep the range of 2 meter has always done it. Now my feild rig, that is different, but that is not just a 2band and cost close to a grand, not a thing to leave in a open top jeep.
                All I am saying is to research you radios, a upgrade may look great, but if you are not using the bands, well. You may want that upgrade rig in another vehicle and a HT in the jeep with a few asscessaries.

Comment

Hey Christian,

You're not too far from HRO in Anaheim. You may want to head down there where you can touch, feel, and see what's avaiable.

I would reccomend a dual band 2m - 440 MHz mobile and a GOOD gain antenna. The cross band repeat is a great feature which I don't have but would dearly like. I think it would fit your situation perfectly since you like to hike.

BTW, congratulations, remember when I told you looked like you should be a Ham? Now you are one!
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

I'll have to look into HRO in Anaheim and GigaParts online.

From the research I've been doing, it looks like the Yeasu FT-8900 offers a lot of bang for the buck. The Kenwood D710 looks pretty good too.

I like the idea of having 2, 6 and 10 meter frequencies available, as well as, 70 centimeter. I'll definitely get something with cross band repeat for hiking and mountain biking with an HT.

I'm going to look into a Tuffy center or overhead console, so that I can lock up the Ham equipment if I go out for a hike. I may then modify that for the CB and a new stereo, but I'm probably getting a little ahead of myself.

Antennae are something that I'll need to start studying in more depth.

I look forward to rising to a whole new level of geekiness.

Christian

Comment

I have found that 2m does the job everyware I have been in California. But when I took the Jeep to Arizona I found that 2m repeater coverage is not nearly as good. There is very good 70cm coverage though which didn't mean much to me with my 2m only rig.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Congrats!! You're going to love it. We got a handheld first and were very happy with that. 2M/440 bands are a must.
                        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                          <snip>

You're not too far from HRO in Anaheim. You may want to head down there where you can touch, feel, and see what's avaiable.

<snip>
                          Hey Roger,

It looks like Ham Radio Outlet (HRO) has a store in Burbank, which is really close to me.

I'll have to go check them out.

Christian

Comment

You should go with the ht first, you can get many features like mikes and cig light plug ins for them. I know a lot of guys who use ht in their 4x4s as it reflects laving a radio in an open top Jeep. Most hts are 5 watt but the range is outstanding and you will end up getting one later so why not get it first and experiment a little. Like I said earlier a lot of money can be spent on radios, you should get some experience before diving in head first. Another thought is once you figure what you want, check out online Hamfest, a lot of good radios move that way.

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
                              You should go with the ht first, you can get many features like mikes and cig light plug ins for them. I know a lot of guys who use ht in their 4x4s as it reflects laving a radio in an open top Jeep. Most hts are 5 watt but the range is outstanding and you will end up getting one later so why not get it first and experiment a little. Like I said earlier a lot of money can be spent on radios, you should get some experience before diving in head first. Another thought is once you figure what you want, check out online Hamfest, a lot of good radios move that way.
                              I'm not doing anything right away, so I'll have plenty of time to decide which way to go. I'll do a search for online Hamfest and see where that takes me.

Thanks.

Christian

Comment

Working...
                              X