Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAM Radio and Pacemaker

Just starting to heal from having surgery. Remember the box being check about no HAM Radio. What effect does the RADIO HAVE ON THE PACEMAKER. I know it hase something to do with frequencies. Let me know.
    George

Originally posted by TDS SD View Post
    Just starting to heal from having surgery. Remember the box being check about no HAM Radio. What effect does the RADIO HAVE ON THE PACEMAKER. I know it hase something to do with frequencies. Let me know.
    George
    I think this question would be best answered by your doctor.
    Rich

Comment

It would be cool if I could control your heartbeat with my morse code!

Definitely ask your Dr. With all the old guys using ham radio, it can't be too harmful. If you're setting up a home station, definitely be aware of stray RF that will invade your home. My wife hates it when I transmit and turn on lights!

Comment

Pacemaker

The Dr's nurse said to use the same precaution as with a cell phone. Don't use your left shirt pocket for your cell phone and hand held 2
        meter. Using a Ham Radio with those precautions is A_Okay.
        George

Comment

And keep magnets away from it too that's what we us in the ER to reset them.
          An ugly Jeep with some stuff.....

Comment

I can understand about the RF causing problems but never thought about magnets. I have some magnets at work that are insane. Their about the size of a dime. Put one on each side of your hand and not only will they hold but if you get them too close it pinch's your skin. Unknowingly put one of those in your shirt pocket and.............Damn
            Come to the dark side.....
            We have Cookies!

Comment

I would think that unless you have a high powered radio and the antennae is not tuned good then a Ham radio should not be bad, however any time you are around a powerful setup or in an area that the RF radiation is high such as a badly tuned setup or a badly ground unit then the Pacemaker could be affected
              censored for having an opinion

Comment

My pacemaker has never been affected by cell phones or ham radio. I just don't put my cell phone in my shirt pocket. It's the older pacemekers that were affected by rf.
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

pacemaker

Thanks for all the advice. Been to the Doctor for follow up and have another appt to check the setting to make sure there are no changes. So far everything is okay.
                  George

Comment

Working...
                  X