Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contacting Through Keller Pk

For my birthday I got a new high gain dual band antenna for my Jeep. (Don't ever - ever - ever waste money on a glass mount antenna). It is waaaayy better. I'm getting some of the repeaters full signal in areas where before I could hardly hear them.

So Scott -OU812 & John - Nipple Twister Let's try communicating again. I'll be monitoring the Keller Peak repeater -146.385MHz+ Pl 146.2Hz - between 6:15 - 7:00 AM and 5:00 - 5:45 PM M-Th. Starting tomorrow morning

Next we should try the Big Bear Machine.

Any other MJR Hams interested, just jump in and let's try it.

Roger - N6UJM
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Awesome Roger. I am on my drive home at 5:00pm. Ill call out from you tomorrow evening.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Oceanside to Victorville via Keller Peak. That's a pretty good shot!
      MJR moderator
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

I don't think you can reach Keller Peak from Oceanside; there are too many mountains in the way. If you have UHF, we can use the Winsystem linked repeaters:
        http://www.winsystem.org
        Victorville 448.900 (-) 162.2
        Santiago Peak 448.060 (-) 100.0
        Sunset Ridge (north of Pomona) 449.160 (-) 100.0
        Loop Canyon (San Fernando Valley) 448.900 (-) 100.0
        Vista 448.800 (-) 100.0

I can't reach Keller Peak from the San Fernando Valley, but I can get it via Echolink. I'll try to contact you in the morning.
        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
        KI6MLU

Comment

Okay Russ!! I'll be listening. Scott says he has no problem getting into Keller Pk from Oceanside. I don't see how it's possible. But on the other hand, I can sometimes access Catalina Island repeater from Lucerne Valley, How is that possilbe!!??

Roger N6UJM
          MJR moderator
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

In Oceanside and Escondido and Carlsbad I am rarely in a place I can not get into Keller peak repeater. I get Catalina repeater well too of course.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Scott - I'll be listening for you at 5:00 PM or as soon as I can get out to my Jeep from my office!

Russ - I won't be able to add the WIN repeaters to my radio until this weekend. I'll let you know when I get it done.
              Last edited by Roger; 02-16-10, 06:58 AM. Reason: I mis-read Scott's post! Doh!
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                Okay Russ!! I'll be listening. Scott says he has no problem getting into Keller Pk from Oceanside. I don't see how it's possible. But on the other hand, I can sometimes access Catalina Island repeater from Lucerne Valley, How is that possilbe!!??

Roger N6UJM
                Roger, the AOR on the Catalina repeater is pretty severe - you'd be amazed at some of the places it covers. Just don't try hitting it from a sailboat at the Isthmus (BTDT)
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY
                You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                  Roger, the AOR on the Catalina repeater is pretty severe - you'd be amazed at some of the places it covers. Just don't try hitting it from a sailboat at the Isthmus (BTDT)
                  I believe that the Catalina repeater is at the airport. It has great coverage along the coastline from San Diego to Ventura and quite a bit inland; I've been able to receive it from the San Fernando Valley, BUT I was talking to a guy on Catalina Island and he said that you can't reach it from Avalon because the hills are in the way! I believe that the Red Cross and the CERT on the island use a repeater on the mainland.
                  KI6MLU

Comment

IIRC it's on Blackjack Peak, that's the primary transmitter site for Catalina. I know all the LA County stuff is there (climbed that tower many times back in the late 80's)

The antenna for 147.090 has a very high Angle of Radiation to assure hitting the meaty part of LA and Orange County. If memory serves me right (happens less and less these days) the Trustee lived in Orange.
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY
                    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Made contact with Russ this morning! He connected to the Keller Peak repeater through a system called Echo Link. He used his cell phone out in SFV to talk to me in the high desert through the Keller Peak repeater! Cool technology: http://www.echolink.org/

I didn't make contact with OU812 this afternoon. There was someone keying up the repeater but no audio. Scott if that was you, your signal wasn't enough to make it. Let me know!
                      MJR moderator
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

This afternoon I was in Santa Clarita. I didn't have internet access, so I couldn't use Echolink. The San Gabriel Mountains were between me and the repeater. Using my mobile transceiver, I could hear the Keller Peak repeater identify itself occasionally, but the signal was weak and it was very noisy. My transmitter was not strong enough to reach the repeater. I have a meeting in Big Bear in the morning, so I will be able to talk on the Keller Peak repeater on my way up the mountain.
                        KI6MLU

Comment

Roger I am so bummed. I heard you calling out but I wasn't making it into the repeater. Yesterday I found a steal of a deal on a tent cot so I drove out to San Marcos on the way home. I guess although I can hear from there I didn't have enough power to open up the repeater. I know I have it programmed in correctly because I check into the Safety Net on Tuesday and the OAUSA net on Thursday. Usually I am in Oceanside where I know I can make it into the repeater.
                          Those left standing
                          Will make millions
                          Writing books on ways
                          It should have been
                          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Scott - I am pretty sure you were opening the repeater but just barely. Are you sure your radio is set to high power for that repeater?

I talked to a guy this morning who was located in Carlsbad. He was hitting the repeater with no problem. I also caught Russ again this morning.
                            MJR moderator
                            Jeep Patrol Leader
                            Reforestation Supervisor
                            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                            Eagle Scout

Comment

I was set to high power. I made a contact thru the Keller Peak repeater on hwy 78 on the way out to San Marcos before I heard your call. He said I was quiet but readable.
                              Those left standing
                              Will make millions
                              Writing books on ways
                              It should have been
                              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                              X