Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2m

Where is the best place to get a 2m in the Los Angeles area?

Ham Radio Outlet will probably have the best selection.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Get an idea of what you want. Just 2m. Perhaps dual band. Read reviews at QRZ.com or other ham sites.

This is what I do, and I go to Ham Radio Outlet and purchase the radio. Sometimes you can order online for a little cheaper, but I like the ease of taking it right back if there is an issue. HRO is good about that.

A lot of radio's can be modified to perform different functions. Check out Mods.dk. It is typically illegal to modify and use ham radio's for other than its intended use. Someone, though not I, might like the ability to send and transmit on the FRS and GMRS freq's, so if you're offroading with guys w/o ham, and using those silly 1/4 watt radios, you can hear and laugh at them!

Comment

99 percent of the use I have is 2 meter, but that seems to be a SoCal thing. When I am in Nevada I get asked if I have 430 a lot. HRO is one of the cheapest.
        Anyway, decide on what you want as these are not 40 dollar disposable radios and you will be invested in what you get. I went for the Yaesu 1802 as it is a very ruged unit and I run open top so that was my priority, some of the units that have more bells and whistles are a bit more finicky about environment.
        censored for having an opinion

Comment

Working...
        X