Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilderness Protocol 146.52 MHz

I have found this same informarion in a few different places today. Is this a widely used method or is it just intended for the "Tri County" area in norther california?

Originally posted by http://www.tcoek12.org/~tcarc/tcproto.html
    The purpose of this operating suggestion is to offer stations that are in the wilds or in areas that are not near repeater stations a chance to be heard when it is needed the most!

The Wilderness Protocol is a suggestion that those outside of repeater range should monitor standard simplex channels at specific times in case others have Emergency or priority calls.

The primary frequency monitored is 146.52 MHz; secondarily or alternatively 52.525, 223.5, 446.0 and 1294.5 MHz respectively. The idea is to allow communications between hams that are hiking or backpacking in uninhabited areas, outside repeater range an alternative opportunity to be heard.

NOTE- This is NOT just for hikers, back packers, or similar situations....it is for ANYONE to use at ANYTIME...that you need assistance. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOOSE BY NOTING THIS "WILDERNESS PROTOTYPE" AND USING IT IF YOU NEED IT.

Recommended Use of "Wilderness Protocol"

Montior the PRIMARY- 146.520 and any or all of the SECONDARY FREQUENCIES.(52.525, 223.500, 446.00, 1294.500)
    MONITOR TIMING- Every 3 hours from 0700 HRS ..from the hour until 5 (five) minutes past the hour.(7:00-7:05 AM, 10:00-10:05 AM, ..., 10:00-10:05 PM).
    ALTERNATE TIMING- 0655 to 0705, Etc 5 before til 5 after..(watch may be incorrect)
    ENHANCED MONTIORING- Fixed stations or portable stations with enough battery power levels LISTEN EVERY HOUR. (Obviously Continious Monitoring is also an option.)
    SCANNING MONITOR- Consider entering- 146.52 MHz , 52.525, 223.5, 446.0 and 1294.5 MHz in to your scanner radio, or extended scanning monitor radio.
    Bring this "Wilderness Protocol" up at ham meetings, mention it on the ait
    NOTE- 146.52 IS A CALLING FREQUENCY.... Make your Calls, and then move off the frequency so others can use the frequency. Suggested frequencies to move to; 146.55, 146.43, etc.
    PRIORITY TONE SIGNALS-Suggested Priority Radio Transmissions ONLY after 4 minutes after the hour. USE the LONG TONE ZERO (on Touch Tone Pad) Begin calls for assistnce with 10 or more seconds of TONE with the LITZ signal. ( LONG TONE ZERO )- This timing would help those in trouble not be covered up by the tone itself. MORE LITZ SIGNAL INFORMATION

These are CALLING FREQUENCIES, and the CALLING should only start at 4 minutes after the hour preceded by listeing for 30 seconds...LISTEN FIRST- CALL CQ with short transmissions, then carefully listen. LISTEN FIRST! always a good idea!
    NOTE: Many mobile, fixed station and hand-held radios have LITZ Features built in. In the 1970s and later, many articles were in Amateur Radio and other publications with OUTBOARD LITZ devices that provided contact closures for sirens, buzzers, speakers, etc.
    There were also schemes to monitor remotely for LITZ signals, much like the EMERGENCY LANDING BEACONS FOR AIRCRAFT (ELT) are monitored by some Amateur Repeater Stations. GPS encoded signals for MARINE VHF DISTRESS and other technologies are saving lives world-wide.

Some consumer products that arrived on US market in 2004 and beyond, use cellular telehone technology, and special satellite relayed technologies to summon help for individuals and vehicle emergencies.(Cellular Telephone equipment and other commercial satellite systems are usually not present, appropriate or practical for the scope of the technology/procedures in this article.)

The author of this page reminds you that most of this information appears elsewhere on the internet, and in various printed publications, and it has been combined with other information for the purposes of this article.
    Greg Greenwood, WB6FZH
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

It would be interesting to know if this is used elsewhere. THe 146.520 is the national calling frequency for 2 meter users, and as such is monitored and used by hams regularly. For 2 meter users, this is an indespensible tool. It is also a good idea to find out if there are any Park Service repeaters in the area you will be traveling, as the can be invaluable when you need help.

Let's keep this post going, as I would love to hear from more experienced operators there thoughts on these issues.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Thanks for starting this Scott.This is a very good thread.

In fact I have been working on a list of ham repeaters in SB county that could be utilized for emergency communications. For example I recently discoverd a 2m Repeater on Mt Rodman. This repeater covers most of the Eastern Mojave, probably the Calico area and Johnson Valley! I'll post my findings as soon as I get it all together.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Repeater List

Roger-

This site may help with you research, but I bet you probably have this one.........

http://rptrlist.w6jpl.ampr.org/

-B

Comment

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
          Roger-

This site may help with you research, but I bet you probably have this one.........

http://rptrlist.w6jpl.ampr.org/

-B
          Thanks Brian, I'm acturally using that one as my main list. Unfortunately, there is a lot of changes since this was posted and I'm working through the repeaters and correcting the changes.
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

FYI........I have a copy of the 2005 Western States Travel Repeater Guide. I you want to boorow it send me a PM and I will mail it to you.

Comment

You might want to edit the title of the thread - it says 143.52
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I think it is too old. It wont let me edit. And there is no Moderator in this section.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Fixed.
                  If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X