Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2m antenna build

I would like to use a stock YJ antenna to make a 2m radio antenna. I bought a second stock antenna at Ecology for $1.50. I think it would be really cool to mount it on the other side mirroring the radio antenna. I figure a 1/4 wave 2m antenna is 19inches. Could I trim the stock antenna down to 19 inches and call it a 2m antenna? Or even better could I make it 1/2 wave at 38 inches but use a layer of shiring wrap for insulator and wind it with 38 inches of wire?
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

If YJ antennas are where CJ's are, I wouldn't mount it there. Your Jeep will act as a shield, not allowing your signal to properly travel. It likes the metal to be under (down) from the antenna. I broke my stock antenna on a rock, and replace it. Then I broke it again. I'd hate to have to do that with a 2m antenna.

Comment

I don't think the coax on the stock antenna will be the proper impedence. Also, a telascopic antenna will be hard to keep at the correct length.

If you do this project be sure to check the match on the antenna system. Might be interesting, keep us informed how this works out!
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

I decided to mount a 5/8 wave 2m antenna on my roof rack. I think I have lost all hope in parking in the parking garage at work. I am still looking into this stock antenna project though. The coax that came with my new 2m antenna is very small. I think it would be doable to use this coax in the antenna. I don’t have a telescopic antenna it’s a solid wire.

For now this will do.
        The antenna on the right is a 12m antenna tuned for my CB. It was free from a freindly ham neighbor of Mat's
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Looks good.

A few things:

1. Have you checked the match yet? I'm asking because I'm not too sure how good of a ground you have from the rack to the body or frame.

2. There are a few companies that make folding antennas so you can park your vehicle in a garage. You might want to look into that.

3. I like the fact that it's mounted very high, it will really help when on the fringe of a repeater coverage area.

BTW, how is the rack mounted to your fiberglass hard top?
          MJR moderator
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

1. I haven't checked the SWR yet because I don't have one. I need to go borrow Mat's or enlist some help from his neighbor who has a much nicer SWR. I am not sure how I am going to ground the antenna because there is no ground in the rack at all. I will probably end up running a ground wire the same route I ran the antenna and grounding it to the tub. I am almost done with my radio install too. Ill post up some pics tomorrow.

2. Im not too bummed about not getting in the garage. I usually park in the mechanics bays because they are 18 feet tall and keep my surfboard out of the sun.

3.The rack company Surko has a mount that will mount to the fiberglass top. You have to drill holes which I wasn't thrilled about. But I used some RTV under the mounts and thru the holes. I doubt I will have any trouble with leaks. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting more than 200lbs up there but most importantly it holds my surfboard(and maybe my kayak but I haven't tried yet).
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Are no ground plane antenna's any worse than regular antennas? Im not all that excited about routing a 12 guage grond wire from the roof rack.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

You might be pleasantly surprised at the match on the roof rack - there's plenty of electrical length there for a counterpoise.

I ran Metz antenna's on my 70 FJ40 roof rack (slightly different antenna design as they're a shunt fed half wave)for 2M, 220, 440 and 6M back in the early 80's - never needed to add any connection to the frame.
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY
                You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

That would be awesome. I’ll check it before trying to route that ground wire.

Also, how important is it to ground the radio directly to the battery? I don’t understand how grounding to the tub should be any different as long as there is a good connection.
                  Last edited by OU812; 10-08-09, 03:04 PM. Reason: typo
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Very important - using the frame as a return is neither a good choice "electronically" (noise) or "electrically" (constant path across bolted connections) - although it's more of a noise problem than a power consistancy problem.

I don't use the frame as a return for anything but the starter. I began running welding cable to my winch to the return side about 25 yrs ago - never went beck
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY

Comment

Good to know. Thank you.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                        ... 25 yrs ago ...

You areally are an old fart! (I'm probably older)
                        MJR moderator
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

I turned 25 years old this week. So I know how long that is. Lol
                          Those left standing
                          Will make millions
                          Writing books on ways
                          It should have been
                          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

25???????

I think I have cigars older than that

(51 last birthday)
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                              25???????

I think I have cigars older than that

(51 last birthday)
                              Is that all,.. hell ya make it sound like you are 100 + 51 LOL... hell you are only five years older than me. I just dont look OR feel my age....Matt
                              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
                              X