Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programing the Yeasu FT7800

The Yeasu FT7800 is a 2m/400MHz mobile radio. I have found it to be be very difficult to program it.

I recently discovered that 1/2 the buttons weren't working. So I emailed Yeasu to inquire about sending it in for repair. The next day I received a reply giving me the steps to reset the radio. It worked! It wiped out my channel programing though. I emailed Yeasu back and thanked them.

Thankfully, when I purchased the radio in 2004, I also purchased the third party programing software. I completely re-programed all the channels. As things usually go with me, the softwhere couldn't recognize the radio, no matter what I did. It could not find a com port. I never had the problem in the past.

So I called the RT Systems (software company) and got a technician immediately! I explained my problem she spent a good 1/2 hour walking me through downloading some updates, loading them into my program and walked me through uploading my data. She also helped me "tweek" some of the radio settings to make the radio work better.

I should mention that I have version 2.xx and now they are ready to come out with version 4.xx yet they still supported the 4 year old software!

So to wrap this up, I highly recommend the Yeasu FT7800 and the 3rd party software vendor RT Systems. If you purchase the software, be sure to purchase their cable also as it is specially set up to match the radio.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Glad you got the radio working! I have the FT8900 in my Pathfinder, and program it by hand! What a pain! I'm looking into getting the software. Thanks for suggestion/recommendation.

Comment

RT Systems is a great company to deal with - I have their software for my VX-5 and VX-170
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY
      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
        Glad you got the radio working! I have the FT8900 in my Pathfinder, and program it by hand! What a pain! I'm looking into getting the software. Thanks for suggestion/recommendation.
        Steve,

Call them directly, see if Version 4.xx which is ready to be released is for your radio. BTW, the cost of the software is $25.00. I can't remember what she said the cable cost is but I think it's under $50.00 for both. Cheap!

Old Fart: Yes I have nothing but praise for them.
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

I don't buy anything anymore I can't program from my PC. Even my RC transmitter (JR9303) is PC compatable
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Working...
          X