Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB or Ham? Handheld or truck mount?

Which one are you guys (girls) running? Looking at getting one. Just need some guidence.

I'm look'n at getting another Cobra 25,it's a radio I had before and not a bad price on eBay.There are so many options out there,and if you check back a few threads there was a lot of info on this.If I find it I'll post back with it.
    Dennis
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

I assume the black bracket in the rear is used to mount the antenna? Can someone post some pics. How are you getting the coax cable inside?

I assume this is another way?

Comment

Ron,

PM Mitch (great88) he lives in Hesperia and ask him if you could meet up with him and look at how his antenna, coax, & cb is set up. He has one of thoose funny looking Jeeps with the rectangle head lights like yours.
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
          Ron,

PM Mitch (great88) he lives in Hesperia and ask him if you could meet up with him and look at how his antenna, coax, & cb is set up. He has one of thoose funny looking Jeeps with the rectangle head lights like yours.

lol..lol! Ok.

Comment

I used to use one of these. It allows you to run the coax behind the tail light.
            http://www.turbocity.com/product_inf...roducts_id=531
            Check out .

Comment

Son and I are going to Pilot truck stop in about 30min to look at cb's If anyone happens to be in the area. I'll be in a white Avalanche (lifted).

Comment

Picked up the Cobra 29ltd for $89. Just need a bracket for the rear. Any ideas?

Comment

Most people use cb's, but some of us have ham radio's too. But for group runs, it's a neccessity to have a cb.

Didn't it come with a bracket?
                  WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!

Comment

The jeep did come with a bracket. What connector or connection do I use? New here, sorry.

Comment

CB. Even if you eventually get your ham license later - CB is still nice to have.

(been a ham for 27 years, still have a CB in my rig)
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY
                      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                        CB. Even if you eventually get your ham license later - CB is still nice to have.

(been a ham for 27 years, still have a CB in my rig)
                        Definitely! Do you talk on vhf and uhf, or do you stick to hf? I just have my tech license so no hf for me.
                        WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!

Comment

I'm currently only active on VHF/UHF. My VX-5 has 6M on it - but no 6M FM activity locally. I haven't been active on HF for about 15 years (at one time I had 2M (FM and SSB), 220, 70CM, 6M and full HF in my rig - all monoband radios). I considered doing HF mobile again - but if I do it won't be the YJ - way too noisy, and messing with SSB and trying to stay on the road/trail is for much younger folks than me.

KG6TY (old Advanced Class)
                          Jeff
                          OHV76V
                          KG6TY

Comment

You guys lost me with the frequency's. Which is ham and which is cb

Comment

CB is 27 mHZ (Megahertz), mostly AM, and is unregulated as far as licensing (there are regulations as to frequencies, type of emmission and power level). For practical purposes, CB is part of the "HF" portion of the band. (11 meters)

Ham radio is a whole slew of frequencies, "below" and "above" CB in the HF portion, extending up into VHF, UHF and even low microwave. Our (ham) HF frequencies are mostly used on Single Side Band (SSB), VHF/UHF is mostly FM (although I've used SSB).

Biggest difference - Ham requires a license to operate.
                              Jeff
                              OHV76V
                              KG6TY

Comment

Working...
                              X