Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB websites?

anyone know a good site to order an antenna and mounting kit from? i dont know what brand i want...i have this old cb my dad gave me, i dont need much distance, its just to talk to my buddies when we are out mudding, like a couple hundred feet apart. i want the mounting kit that goes on the drivers rear tail light. thanks for any help ya'll

hurricane

Do you have Radio-Shack's up north? They are a good local supply house. If not, do a Google search. Personally, I'm not a big E-Bay fan, but to each their own.
    http://www.cobra.com/
    I have always wanted this one:

But, I bought:

Buy an SWR meter and learn how to tune the antenna. These units are "line of sight" broadcast/receive, so IMO - the antenna is the most important "link."
    Money pit!

Comment

Try a truck stop. The ones in the US have plenty of CB equipment, antennas, mounts and cables for sale. I see that Winnipeg has several Flying J and Petro truck stops on the Trans-Canada Hwy.

Here's a link to a list of mail-order stores that sell Firestik products:
      http://www.firestik.com/WhereToBuy.htm
      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
      KI6MLU

Comment

I had good luck with these guys.
        http://www.rightchannelradios.com/

I recommend Wilson antenna over Firestick. My Wilson works better then my Firestick did and my Firestick snapped.:2:
        Check out .

Comment

thanks guys, the flying J isnt far from my place actually. thats a good idea. all i need are the ant and the cable to connect to the radio. i could always make a bracket that isnt too hard. anyone know if the bracket has to ground to the body or anything? i have never wired up a cb. done a few stereos. anything similar between them?

Comment

Yes, You need to mount the bracket to ground. You can do a ground with a wire if your mounting location isn't going to be grounded.
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

so the bracket that slips in behind the drivers rear tailight, what does it ground too? the ground for the light?

Comment

I just installed a Cobra 75 with a 5' Top Loaded Firestick and had it tuned by a "professional" and he said that the 18' cable is important. I had originally got a 12 footer and replaced it with the 18 footer and I guess he was right, the SWR reading went way down. Grounding was very important as well, making sure that the plastic washer on the connector is in the right place.

Comment

Anyone use the "groundless" antennas? No reviews for this on amazon, just wondering if anyone here has imput on em.

[COLOR="Yellow"]HERE[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                  X