Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HALP!! CB broke!

I can't find a CB repair shop in West LA.... or anywhere in LA! It is an easy repair, my pup chewed through the antenna cable and chewed off the handset connector, and the box needs to be remounted under the dash.

Any one know where I can take it? I can't find any place on the 'net or in the Yellow pages books. I'd like to get it repaired for my Ouray trip.

Help me Obi Won Jeepers, you're my only hope!
    Some girls like it rough!

I'm looking for a shop to do some CB surgery also. I have a reoccurring issue with my CB's shorting out, and can't figure out why. There is one shop in the City of Orange, called "The Solder Joint", but they are not open on weekends, so not a real possibility for me.
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

The best one is up off the 395 next to the truck stop there right at the 395 & 15 junction you will be going right by there on your way can,t remember the name but I,am sure one of the locals can find out they fixed mine cheap last time I was there

Comment

Those parts are cheap at any truck stop if you want to just replace them

Comment

Originally posted by Don Davison View Post
          The best one is up off the 395 next to the truck stop there right at the 395 & 15 junction you will be going right by there on your way can,t remember the name but I,am sure one of the locals can find out they fixed mine cheap last time I was there
          Awesome! I know exactly where that is! My fella lives in Victumville! I'll send him scouting!
          Thanks!

Comment

Those parts are cheap at any truck stop if you want to just replace them
            =sigh=
            I haven't been able to find my soldering iron since the move. And the fact that it is a co-ax cable scares me.

Comment

High Dessert CB, great help with CB's, just wish I could get all the guys I wheel with to go see him if you know what I mean!!

Comment

Cat,

If it's just an antenna cable and a microphone, you can get replacements at a truck stop for less than the gas you would burn getting to the repair facility in Hesperia (unless you wait until you're in the area). If you don't want to wait till then, you might inquire at Camacho Electronics, 4609 E. Washington Blvd (@ I-710 freeway), City of Commerce (323) 262-1950. I took my CB to them when I had a problem with the audio output, but after discussing the problem with them, I decided it would be cheaper to buy a new one than to have them troubleshoot and repair the old one.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...h&z=14&iwloc=A
                Last edited by Russ Chung; 09-03-08, 05:52 PM.
                If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                KI6MLU

Comment

I called Comanche Electronics and all I got was a fax line. So then I Googled it and also did a Yellow Pages search and came up empty.

I then called High Desert CB and spoke with Mark (told him he came highly recommended from you guys!). He referred me to Chris of Radio Shop in Ontario. So I now have an appointment there and I'll be sure to let y'all know how it goes.

Since I'm in Victorville about twice a month, I'm holding onto High Desert CB's info.

Thanks guys, Y O U R O C K ! !

Comment

i also might have a spare CB cable (antenna to radio) laying around that I can look for and would be willing to part with, and i am less than 5 miles from you (santa monica) so it's more convenient than driving real far

not sure if it is the proper length for your needs but you can check it out nonetheless.

i also found a place in the valley that has replacement CB radio cable for less than $1 (screw connector included) that you could solder up yourself. It's called All Electronics on Oxnard Blvd. a few blocks west of Van Nuys Blvd. Have lots of cool little electronic parts for the hobbyist type.

let me know if you're interested.
                    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Thank you so much for the offer Mike, but I haven't done electronics in 2 decades. I'd rather pay an expert. It's far, but I don't mind. I'll spend the whole drive reminding myself to keep these things out reach of the puppy's teeth! ;-)

Cheers!
                      Cat

PS. I'm a puppy raiser for Guide Dogs of America so I always have a puppy under foot. Fortunately the repair is tax deductible. Had it been by one of my pet dogs, no deduction.

Comment

OK, I drove out to Ontario to Radio Shop to get the CB fixed. They said that repairing the chewed antenna cable would cause the reception to work poorly and suggested a new antenna for about twice the cost to repair the cable. The connector and wire to the box were repaired and the antenna was tuned. Huh! I didn't know antennas had to be tuned! Anyways, they did it all while I waited, in about an hour. Chris is the owner and Mike is the tech. A couple of nice guys.

It all came to about $65.

Radio Shop is located in Ontario where the 10 Fwy & Milikin meet. It is just west of the TA Truckstop in a business park.

Comment

Originally posted by cat View Post
                          OK, I drove out to Ontario to Radio Shop to get the CB fixed. They said that repairing the chewed antenna cable would cause the reception to work poorly and suggested a new antenna for about twice the cost to repair the cable. The connector and wire to the box were repaired and the antenna was tuned. Huh! I didn't know antennas had to be tuned! Anyways, they did it all while I waited, in about an hour. Chris is the owner and Mike is the tech. A couple of nice guys.

It all came to about $65.

Radio Shop is located in Ontario where the 10 Fwy & Milikin meet. It is just west of the TA Truckstop in a business park.
                          That's not a bad price these days,...good job.
                          "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by Double G View Post
                            High Dessert CB, great help with CB's, just wish I could get all the guys I wheel with to go see him if you know what I mean!!
                            Gene, I know what you mean...

Highly recommend High Desert CB!

However, I would not recommend Camacho Electronics due to poor work, and a language barrier.

It is good to know about the Radio Shop.

Lastly there used to be a shop in Sunland called "CB one"
                            Don't know if they still exist and I think its run by skinhead nazi's, but they do good work.... so there is that, too.
                            Best, Max7
                            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I haven't checked it out personally, but I understand that there is a cb tuning shop next to the truck stop in Castiac.

My cb problems seem to be neverending. Due to transmission issues, I have just switched to a no ground plane antenna and cable. It is tuned (by me) and seems to work well. We'll see how it does on the trail, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X