Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobra 75??

For those that have that little cobra 75 how do you like it? Thinking of buying one for the jeep but dont know how well the speaker and everything else works???

you can plan on an external speaker. otherwise it is a nice unit.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

i have that one the cobra 75 wxst, it works great, i have the external speaker and rareley use it, its gets pretty loud,

Comment

Have one too. The built in speaker works well. The only thing I found (and wouldn't call it a problem) was the unit got warm after extended use.

B&T TJ

Comment

Gary-
          I have oen and like it for its unique features. Mine is mounted under the driver's column. I just plug in the handset when I get the trailhead and screw in the antenna too. When I'm not on the trail, no one is tempted by a cb sitting in my rig. I have a very small non-amp'd external speaker zip tied to the roll bar right above my ear- I ran the wire down thru the roll bar padding and then down the wire channel and under the dash. Without the speaker, I would not be able to hear much from the unit. Next time we are are on run, you are more than welcome to check it all out.
          Bruce

Comment

I get my 75 setup with the firestick tomm,i am selling my new cobra 29nw and my wilson 1000 mag.

Comment

Antenna

I just got one those fancy 75's just last week....

:dunno:And my question is which or what kind, rather, of antenna are you guys using?

I tried my older metal whip, (bottom loaded, I guess since the coil is @ the bottom)...Now I bought a 4' fiberglass whip "top loaded"...Mounted that straight to the stock bumper....Do you need a SWR for a glass antenna? If so, how do you adjust for it?
              I haven't been on the trail with it...I know it works close range with either antenna (tried w/ handheld I have)...
              Just not getting the usual reception that I had with an old CB I had... I could at least hear a person now and then, now..it's just static. Are these just good for really close range?
              David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
              I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                you can plan on an external speaker. otherwise it is a nice unit.
                Not everyone is as deaf as us old guys... I need an external speaker too, damn 20 years of machine guns has had an effect!
                [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by highway420 View Post
                  Now I bought a 4' fiberglass whip "top loaded"...Mounted that straight to the stock bumper....Do you need a SWR for a glass antenna? If so, how do you adjust for it?
                  I haven't been on the trail with it...I know it works close range with either antenna (tried w/ handheld I have)...
                  Just not getting the usual reception that I had with an old CB I had... I could at least hear a person now and then, now..it's just static. Are these just good for really close range?
                  David,
                  Yes, you need to tune the fiberglass antenna with an SWR meter, AND if you mounted it straight to your bumper, you will probably need a grounding strap too, because the bumper is not well grounded. Some glass antennas have an adjusting screw on the tip; they are easy to tune. Other glass antennas don't have an adjusting screw; they require you to unwind and cut some of the wire off the tip if you need to shorten it, or to add a spring to the base if you need to lengthen it.

I had my 4 ft antenna mounted to my bumper; last week I broke the mount, so I jury-rigged the antenna to my roll bar. I was amazed at the improvement in reception because of the extra height! I could clearly hear truck drivers on the interstate who were five miles away, fer shure dontcha know. So instead of replacing my bumper mount, I've ordered a taillight mount from Quadratec. I also bought an antenna quick disconnect at Love's truck stop so I can remove it before pulling my rig into my garage.
                  If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                  KI6MLU

Comment

I just got one those fancy 75's just last week....

:dunno:And my question is which or what kind, rather, of antenna are you guys using?

I tried my older metal whip, (bottom loaded, I guess since the coil is @ the bottom)...Now I bought a 4' fiberglass whip "top loaded"...Mounted that straight to the stock bumper....Do you need a SWR for a glass antenna? If so, how do you adjust for it?

Hey David,

I just got my Cobra 75 last week . . . I went with the 4 foot Firestick antenna with the screw adjustment on top. I picked up a SWR Meter at Fry's there in Woodland Hills for 10 bucks and they had a bunch in stock. I mounted it to the rear bumper with a very basic bracket. I also put on a spring as the antenna is about 6 inches higher than my top and I didn't want it to break. On road the spring is fine, but going thru John Bull, my antenna was whipping all over and whacking everything in sight . . . almost tagged my spotter!!! I'm thinking about either ditching the spring or going with a much stronger one. I couldn't hear much when I was here in town, but it worked great on the trail.
                    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I was thinking of the taillight mount as well, but two things were holding me back...One, is the drilling into the body for the ground, (Quadratec says 'optional',but I've read others advertised saying 'required':dunno: ), and the other is that I intend to get a tire carrier soon and mount it on that. That should be a good mounting place, no?

Hey Joe, what does that bracket look like? Or where'd you pick it up?

Comment

I was thinking of the taillight mount as well, but two things were holding me back...One, is the drilling into the body for the ground, (Quadratec says 'optional',but I've read others advertised saying 'required':dunno: ), and the other is that I intend to get a tire carrier soon and mount it on that. That should be a good mounting place, no?

Hey Joe, what does that bracket look like? Or where'd you pick it up?
                        Hey David,
                        Here's the link to the site that I got everything thru . . . the bracked that I used is the one at the very top of the link. It was simple to install and I only had to drill one hole thru the bumper . . . I didn't even remove it . . . just the plastic end cap. I worried that it would move around not having multiple screws to ancor into the bumper, but so far, it hasn't moved at all. I'm right there with you . . . drilling into the body makes me a bit squemish . . . the bumpers I don't mind as I figure I'll replace them in due time.

http://www.claysradioshop.com/acc_an...s-brackets.htm
                        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                          Hey David,
                          Here's the link to the site that I got everything thru . . . the bracked that I used is the one at the very top of the link. It was simple to install and I only had to drill one hole thru the bumper . . . I didn't even remove it . . . just the plastic end cap. I worried that it would move around not having multiple screws to ancor into the bumper, but so far, it hasn't moved at all. I'm right there with you . . . drilling into the body makes me a bit squemish . . . the bumpers I don't mind as I figure I'll replace them in due time.

http://www.claysradioshop.com/acc_an...s-brackets.htm
                          Drilling into the body? No big deal. It'll happen sooner or later if you put armor, or anything else on! Dukes69 put the first hole in mine for the amazing Rock-It-Man rockers. Once you have the first one done, it loses the effect.
                          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                            Drilling into the body? No big deal. It'll happen sooner or later if you put armor, or anything else on! Dukes69 put the first hole in mine for the amazing Rock-It-Man rockers. Once you have the first one done, it loses the effect.
                            Yeah, I know...but my Rubi is still less than a year old! I have already started to drill into the dash...:omg: So, I am on my way to the body...just figured I can wait, just a little longer....

Hey, Joe...thanks for the link/info.
                            I will look at the site later tonight.....
                            Although....I still want to mount it to a tire carrier soon, so it may not be worth the searching of brackets...but none the less, it's good to know what works, so thanks for the link.

Comment

Put it all in then i sold it lol Now i have a rubi so time to do it again this time i might get the external speaker with my 75.

Comment

Working...
                              X