Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarah View Post
    What do you mean by this? How much bigger are they? Do they not fit at all or? I just ordered my upgrade so I'm curious.
    With v.7, each map was 1 or 2 MB in size, so I could create a set of 8 to 10 maps that covered just the route that I was interested in, and load them in the 19MB of storage on the GPS V. With v.8, each map covers a larger area, but each map is 4 to 8 MB in size, so at most, I could load 2 or 3 maps, and they wouldn't necessarily cover the entire route that I wanted. For example, when I go to the Bay Area from Los Angeles, I load a set of v.7 maps that cover the entire route along I-5. But with the bigger v.8 maps, I could only load two of them, and those two only covered part of the route. I suppose the work around is to store the maps on a laptop, and download them as needed, but my laptop doesn't have a serial port, and the USB to serial converter that I have will only work at 9600 baud, so it would take six hours to download the maps from my laptop to the GPS V!
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

Thanks for the info Russ. Yep, this oughta be interesting.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Comparison of v7 and v8 maps

Sarah,

Here is a comparison of the boundaries of each v7 and v8 map. The v7 maps are smaller, so I can fit enough of them in my GPS V to cover the entire route from Los Angeles to the Bay Area:

By comparison, the v8 maps cover a larger area, so the file size is larger. I can only fit two or three in my GPS V at a time so I cannot get the entire route from LA to the Bay Area in my GPS V at the same time:
        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
        KI6MLU

Comment

Gotcha ... thanks for the info Russ, I did cancel my order for the update to v8. Considering the lengthy trips we have planned this year, I'll need my route to cover multiple states. I'd hate to say that I'm in the market for a new GPS just yet - I do truly LOVE this one - but fitting Socal to Colorado with the updated data looks pretty much impossible.

Comment

Amazon has Garmin eTrex Vista Handheld GPS Navigators for $159!

They also have the Garmin eTrex Vista CX Handheld GPS Navigator (color) for $237!

Has anyone used the Garmin® StreetPilot c340 with topo maps? Or should I get a GPSMAP 60CSx? The former is on sale for $349, the latter $399 on base. And how much should I expect to pay for topo maps?

Cheers! M2
            Last edited by majormadmax; 05-22-07, 06:19 PM.

Comment

If you're not going to go all "FishPOET" with it, hehe, I'd recommend the V.
              Funny enough I still use my V every trip. I have a special set of SBNF trail maps loaded on it and they have saved me many wrong turns on unfamiliar trails.

We also use Tracy's GPSMap60 as well. It holds more maps and the color display is much easier to read than the V.
              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I have the Garmin 60CSx and installed the 1 gig chip.

Not a big screen but work well for what I bought it for.
                97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                  Funny enough I still use my V every trip. I have a special set of SBNF trail maps loaded on it and they have saved me many wrong turns on unfamiliar trails.
                  Haha!! Sweet!!

After looking at the Magellan lineup, it seems you can pack a bigger punch for your money. Anyone ever use the button-based (not touch screen) Magellans?

Comment

Keep in mind this. Garmin is the largest GPS used. I have had lots of tracks sent to me from other Garmins and they all work on mine. Thats cool cause if your going someplace that someone else has their scan help you out.

Sarah,

Perhaps a section for GPS and sharing tracks?

edit:

Heres a google earth plus of some tracks going through...Ya Tijuana. It would be cool to have the ability to load other peoples tracks when your in an area your not comfy with. My tracks are in red....

Last edited by Britain; 05-22-07, 08:10 PM.
                    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                    WEB site

Comment

Haha!! Sweet!!

After looking at the Magellan lineup, it seems you can pack a bigger punch for your money. Anyone ever use the button-based (not touch screen) Magellans?
                      Probably 10% of the third party and user base support with the Magellan
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY
                      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Britain View Post
                        Keep in mind this. Garmin is the largest GPS used. I have had lots of tracks sent to me from other Garmins and they all work on mine. Thats cool cause if your going someplace that someone else has their scan help you out.
                        From my experience with it, if both parties don't have the same version of Garmin's software, you can't read the files. Different versions aren't compatible with each other, unless you've discovered otherwise, rendering the entire concept useless.

Originally posted by Fartie
                        Probably 10% of the third party and user base support with the Magellan.
                        Based on my comment above, I don't receive support anyway! Hehehe

Perhaps a section for GPS and sharing tracks?
                        Do we have any other interest for this? A couple of years ago, when I launched the maps page (not the reports section), I went on a mission to find a "universal" track format. I ended up with nothing but a computer full of viruses, spyware, and my brother bitching at me

What am I missing?

Comment

Not sure about the Garmin software. I havent had problems with getting tracks from other garmin parties. Matt P gave me some JV stuff and I got some other from another person and some from yet another. All good.

Perhaps the Garmin Software is look down. Lower cant read the newer.

Any other views on this?
                          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                          WEB site

Comment

Do we have any other interest for this? A couple of years ago, when I launched the maps page (not the reports section), I went on a mission to find a "universal" track format. I ended up with nothing but a computer full of viruses, spyware, and my brother bitching at me

What am I missing?
                            Me ;-)

Oh yeah....EasyGPS from topografix.com has worked well for me.
                            "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

It would be cool to have a source for tracks. But doesnt seem to be much interest.

I have most of the tracks to JV. Would be cool to get Big Bear's.
                              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                              WEB site

Comment

aston
                                [nana]what file format do you use?[/nana]

Britain,
                                which software version are you running? I still have 5.

Comment

Working...
                                X