Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cb or 2way?

so me and my buddies want to get cb's. should we go with cb's or car mounted 2ways? which has better range? what are some good brands? places to get them??? im so getting one of those buggy whips and mounting it on my rear bumper. its going to be hot! any advice apretiated

I can't tell you which is better, but I just installed a Cobra in mine and I love it...

easy install...

antenna mounted to the tail light...

I bought it in a full kit that came with everything. The only thing that I found was major important that I didn't know about was tuning the antenna. You need an SWR for that.

Comment

2 way or ham radio you have to have a license to run CB you do not have to have a license I run both 2 meter ham radio and CB for them people without a license

Comment

tiny: where did you get the kit? cost? and thanks

crazy: what about those 2way motorlla radios you can buy anywhere you need a license for them? and thanks

Comment

Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
          tiny: where did you get the kit? cost? and thanks

crazy: what about those 2way motorlla radios you can buy anywhere you need a license for them? and thanks
          You only need a license for the GRMS (think that's the acro) channels. Which is only a handful of the total channels available.
          Erik

I fix things.

Comment

Crazy, try using a little punctuation! That's a little misleading if read quickly online... with only removing words, it makes complete sense, but has bad information:

Originally posted by crazy_wolf168 View Post
            ...you have to have a license to run CB ...
            If you had proper punctuation, you'd realize that words were missing:

Originally posted by crazy_wolf168, edited by Mat
            You have to have a license to run 2 way or ham radio. You do not have to have a license to run CB! I run both 2 meter ham radio and CB for them people without a license
            Sorry, I'm not trying to be grammar police or be a jerk, but I had to do a double when reading your response because there was absolutely no punctuation!

Now, to the OP... CB is more commonly used. I think most people that use ham radios used them before Jeepin'. If you're looking strictly for trail communications, CB is probably going to be OK for you.
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

well me and my 3 buddies all delivery drive for the same boston pizza. we wanted radios or cbs to talk while driving instead of our cells, that way we can all talk at the same time, but the guys i go 4wheelin with, i think 1 has a cb. which has the better range??? i guess it depends on the size of your antenna right?

Comment

I bought from WalcottCB.com. I wanted a compact radio that I could remove easily because I usually don't have the top or the doors on all summer.

wrangler CB kit

I spent about $180 and it came with everything needed, including the coax and antenna mount.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
                  well me and my 3 buddies all delivery drive for the same boston pizza. we wanted radios or cbs to talk while driving instead of our cells, that way we can all talk at the same time, but the guys i go 4wheelin with, i think 1 has a cb. which has the better range??? i guess it depends on the size of your antenna right?
                  No, it's all about wavelength and tons of other scientific stuff... ham/short wave has MUCH better range.. .CB will only work within a couple miles. Size of antenna doesn't play as much of a role as having it tuned properly, and having a good counterpoise. Do a little reading online, here's a couple links to get you started:

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/cb_ant_basic.html
                  http://jeephorizons.com/tech/cb_radio_basic.html
                  http://jeephorizons.com/tech/swr.html
                  If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I had a CB in my YJ that I traded a couch for, it was a little cobra and it worked pretty well, though it wasn't tuned so I could only use it on the highway and such.

Nowadays it's hard to find CB radios, and equipment from my experience. I think radio shack stopped carrying them, so I ended getting my antennas from a truck stop (which by the way is a great place to find above the rocker type stuff). That would probably be your best bet, or ordering on-line

Comment

thanks everyone for your help, mat those are some stellar articles, thanks for finding them for me they were very informative and worthwhile, answered quite a few questions i had.

thanks again everyone

Hurricane

Comment

try looking up HRO ham radio outlet they sell allot of good radios and GPS units at a fair price. Sorry about the spelling and grammar I suck at typing if you cant tell. I'm sure it is not easy to read at times

Comment

my grammar and spelling isnt the best either, no worries i get the jist of it. is there a spellcheck option on here? maybe there should be?? is that hard to do? im not intraweb savvy so i wouldent know

Comment

ieSpell is a spell check you download and just use when you highlight a phrase and right click it

Comment

Or use Firefox 2.0 (a free web browser) that automatically spell checks as you type. It rocks!
                              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Working...
                              X