Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Oregon 550t

My ole 60CSx bit the dust on my last back pack. I was bending over on a rock cliff to set down the camera equipment and it pouched out of the holder and went over the cliff. All I could see was it exploded about 30 ft down.

So I got the latest Garmin Oregon 550T. It has terrain shading and 3d Mapping.
    The compass works really good and you dont need to level the unit.

The 3D image is pretty cool but the my eyes see it much better.

Its a touch screen so you slide the details around. HAs a built in camera that will log in the location when picture is taken. Thats usefull.

Theres a carbiner clip that attaches to your belt or whatever. Now no way for it to pop off now.

Cons....cant see the screen in the sun. Lots of glare on the screen. I've ordered a glare kit ..lets see.

The screen locked up a couple of times but theres a screen capture I may have hit.

Will also require a different type of map source for loading and un loading. This isnt supplied but can be down loaded.

I'll run it through a better test in the next couple of weeks......
    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
    WEB site

I'll be watching for your report with great interest.

I've considered going with the Oregon 550t, but I'm thinking about getting the 60CSx. I'm currently under the impression that it would be a better choice than the Oregon 550t, because of the quad-helix antenna and a more readable screen.

It's my understanding that the antenna on the 60CSx helps a great deal with accuracy and getting a good result in less favorable conditions.

My over 40-eyes need an easy to read screen or I have to reach for the reading glasses, so that's a big one for me.

Since you're going from the model I'm thinking of getting, I think you'll be in a more unique position to draw a comparison.

Thanks for posting about this.

Christian
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

I installed a glare screen but didnt get the results I was hoping for. Given this I realized I really dont look at the screen that much unless I'm back tracking.

Keeping the screen lit up drains the batteries quickly. I will need to keep more batteries if I'm going to gander at the screen a lot. The 60CSx wasnt an issue brite all the time when needed.

I backtracked into an area with the 60, the precision of tracking at near surface was an issue. The tracks went everywhere. BAcking out to an higher elevation the tracks become more stable. The Oregon seems to be the same.

I really dont look at the screen unless I'm going to place a waypoint or I'm backtracking.

The compass is much improved. I'll be going into Pinto wash shortly. The wash has deep verticle walls I dont think the unit will have an issue.

I set the tracking to every 10 seconds (time) did 165 miles twice and didnt over load the tracks as the 60 would.

The external card now can hold maps. I have a califonia topo at 24 (1 gig) working well. But to get the 3D to work I'll need to get the garmin western topo 24. 3D is pretty cool but not required for what I do.

So far I like it. Once I do Pinto I'll see how well the u,it really sticks to waypoints and tracks.

The new software sucks or i dont understand it yet
      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
      WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by Britain View Post
        ...Keeping the screen lit up drains the batteries quickly. I will need to keep more batteries if I'm going to gander at the screen a lot. The 60CSx wasnt an issue brite all the time when needed.
        [COLOR="Sienna"]Do you think a vehicle power unit would help this out? Do you often get out and waypoint stuff like mineshafts or points of interst?[/COLOR]

The compass is much improved. I'll be going into Pinto wash shortly. The wash has deep verticle walls I dont think the unit will have an issue.
        [COLOR="sienna"]Do you have an external GPS antenna on your vehicle?[/COLOR]

I set the tracking to every 10 seconds (time) did 165 miles twice and didnt over load the tracks as the 60 would.
        [COLOR="Sienna"]I ask a lot of stupid questions huh? Can tracks be set to record on external memory, or internal only?[/COLOR]

The external card now can hold maps. I have a califonia topo at 24 (1 gig) working well. But to get the 3D to work I'll need to get the garmin western topo 24. 3D is pretty cool but not required for what I do.
        [COLOR="sienna"]What size/type is the external card you have? I assume it can be upgraded...

Overall it sounds like you'd suggest this unit to others. Great info from someone I'd consider pretty handy with a GPS. :thumbs_up [/COLOR]
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

When the unit is connected to the vehicle power source your not working on internal batteries.

I back pack 8 to 10 hrs so the battery life is a concern. And it seem to be with the unit lit up 100% at full brightness battery life is at 2 hrs.

You cant get a vehicle into PINTO wash or near it.

Theres no external attenna, its a high sensitivity unit. Works in my house sometimes.

Tracks to the external card ng only maps.

Current external card is only 500K ( took it out of my phone)have it loaded with the califonia 24 topo.

DO NOT order the 500t, the preloaded map cannot be transfered out of the unit into BASECAMP software. Order the 500 and then the maps

OhOH looks like the new software for loading maps has some major issues. You can over load maps and the software does not let you know this. Mine got corrupted. Luckly I saved the internal software when I recieved it. Getting the software to reboot to the rom chip was another story. DO NOT load maps into the eprom...save them to the external memory. I got a bone to pick with Garmin now.....
          Last edited by Britain; 10-24-09, 07:51 PM. Reason: Major Programing errors!
          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
          WEB site

Comment

Dont count on the camera to take those action shots.
            To hard to see the screen, Samples

http://www.icorva.com/Webpix/yuhawell/index.html
            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
            WEB site

Comment

Unit does ok. With the new Garmin Base Camp u can export tracks into google . The following ( bottom of article) is exported into google. Pretty cool.

http://www.icorva.com/index.php?opti...cles&Itemid=53
              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
              WEB site

Comment

Hey Britian i was thinking of getting a 550T as well. I haven't had any other models, but im planning on getting serious with some hiking and now looking at some.

How does the 60CSX and the 550T go with accuracy?
                I hear the 60csx has a better antenna.... and obviously its external so it should pick up better anyways.
                I may be going into area's covered by brush ( I'm going to australia...so im not 100% sure what im running into yet!)

Comment

Originally posted by spooky187 View Post
                  Hey Britian i was thinking of getting a 550T as well. I haven't had any other models, but im planning on getting serious with some hiking and now looking at some.

How does the 60CSX and the 550T go with accuracy?
                  I hear the 60csx has a better antenna.... and obviously its external so it should pick up better anyways.
                  I may be going into area's covered by brush ( I'm going to australia...so im not 100% sure what im running into yet!)
                  I currently see no difference in accuracy. Even in steep canyons. I still get to same locations from data stored from my old 60.
                  Big draw back in screen brightness this sucks
                  97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                  WEB site

Comment

I currently see no difference in accuracy. Even in steep canyons. I still get to same locations from data stored from my old 60.
                    Big draw back in screen brightness this sucks
                    Screen brightness is the biggest reason that I got the 60CSx. I just had too much trouble seeing the screen on the 550t in bright sunlight.

Now that I've got the 60CSx, I'm stumbling around trying to figure out how to use it. :confused2

Christian
                    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
                      Screen brightness is the biggest reason that I got the 60CSx. I just had too much trouble seeing the screen on the 550t in bright sunlight.

Now that I've got the 60CSx, I'm stumbling around trying too figure out how to use it. :confused2

Christian
                      The 60 is a great unit. Unfortunatly its old technology. Once they get the screen brightness fixed on the 550t, they will drop the 60 (if garmin has not yet).

Many apps are wrote for the 60, Nasa World wind has some good ones but they to have also changed their language programing.

Theres even an app that will take your camera date time stamp, compile your gps time/location and add those cords to your pictures...fun stuff to come!
                      Last edited by Britain; 01-16-10, 12:17 AM.
                      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                      WEB site

Comment

The 60 is a great unit. Unfortunatly its old technology. Once they get the screen brightness fixed on the 550t, they will drop the 60 (if garmin has not yet).

Many apps are wrote for the 60, Nasa World wind has some good ones but they to have also changed their language progaming.

Theres even an app that will take your camera date time stamp, compile your gps time/location and add those cords to your pictures...fun stuff to come!
                        I look forward to the day that they get the screen thing figured out. It seems like the only thing they didn't get right. I think they did it to extend battery life, but I believe it was a mistake.

In the meanwhile, I'll enjoy figuring out how to use the 60. They haven't dropped it from the line yet, but thinking that they might was one of the things that pushed me to pull the trigger on one. By all accounts it seems that they work very well.

Christian

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
                          I look forward to the day that they get the screen thing figured out. It seems like the only thing they didn't get right. I think they did it to extend battery life, but I believe it was a mistake.

In the meanwhile, I'll enjoy figuring out how to use the 60. They haven't dropped it from the line yet, but thinking that they might was one of the things that pushed me to pull the trigger on one. By all accounts it seems that they work very well.

Christian
                          the 60 not to tough to figure out. It is the best one , in my opinion they have. The 550t will smoke it ...if u can see the screen...
                          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                          WEB site

Comment

I have the Garmin 265WT. I like it. Only thing I notice is if I try to set it to take me some where while I am in motion, it doesn't like it. It doesn't show accurate where I am. If I stop, set it, then go. I am good. Anyone else with this issue?

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
                              Britain, I decided on the garmin 60 csx. I've heard the antenna it has, has a stronger signal in cloudy days or covered skies from trees or bush.
                              Also i heard there are a lot of features that were taken out from the 60csx to the garmin 550t.
                              Maybe i will get the newer garmin when it comes down in price, but it seeems this one will do for now

Comment

Working...
                              X