Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Geographic Topo Map Software

Do you all have any opinions (this forum? opinions? Ha!) good, bad, or ugly concerning Nat Geo California Topo Map software?

It's supposed to work with most GPS units.

Don't hold back, tell me what you REALLY think! :d
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Roger, I have garmins topo maps. If you have garmin I can place some maps on it..

Comment

I use National Geo Topo for my mapping and Garmin Map Source on the GPS. Check with Max I think he uses National Geo Topo on his GPS.
      Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
        I use National Geo Topo for my mapping and Garmin Map Source on the GPS.
        x2

I don't believe any of the major GPS receivers can use any software except the proprietary software designed by the manufacturer. I know this is the case with Garmin, Magellen and Lowrance.
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I have National Geo Topo California and a Garmin GPS. You cannot load Nat Geo maps into the Garmin, but you can take your GPS routes and put them on the Nat Geo maps.

As far as finding detailed info, like mines, etc. You need Topo! Garmin's MapSource detail is VERY lacking in detail. The Nat Geo Topos are basically scanned in 7.5' series maps (but you have 5 zoom levels)...even at most detail, you can still zoom in certain percentages (I use 300% a lot).

The Nat Geo topo map includes streets as well. You however, cannot program turn by turn directions. So, what I do, is place a waypoint with a name like "Turn Left" and I can see it approach on the GPS, and know I'll be turning left.

I'm very happy with Nat Geo Topo.

Comment

Thanks everyone, Steve (SAR) That's the answer question I was looking for. I want detail, like mines etc.

Today to ran Rattlesnake with my laptop and GPS mouse antenna that plugs into the USB plug. I have Delorme Streets and it's no good in an area like that. It didn't show any roads until I got into the forest. I think I may buy Nat Geo Topo.

Thanks again everyone.
            MJR moderator
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger,

For topo's I use "All Topo Maps: California" by "iGage". 14 CD's contain USGS topo's for the entire state of California. You and print, zoom, ect.... I bought this from the "Life Styles" (previously Mining and More) store on Main Street in Hesperia for $94.00. For GPS I'm still very basic with a hand held Garmin Legend. But as you saw again yesterday I can always find a mine or feature that I'm looking for. Mine just doesn't show the trail that gets you there.

Mitch

Comment

Okay, so this is what I did:

I ordered the Delorme Topo USA 7.0. I already have Delorme Street Atlas 2008 and I love the program. It works great but not in remote areas. When I placed the order, I received a 30% discount since I'm already a register user of their products.

This is going to be my birthday present from my wife to me. Isn't she sweet!?
                MJR moderator
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Wow,

A 30% Senior Discount for your birthday. I never get a discount, hmmm?. You are a lucky guy Roger!

Mitch

Comment

I like NG Topo because I learned to navigate with USGS topo maps. I still carry them in the field along with the GPS. I have found that a lot of the roads shown on the USGS topos are on the Garmin Mapaource software.

Comment

Roger, I have been using the Delorme topo sw for several years now and am quite happy with it. I have all of SoCal loaded onto a memory card in the back of my Delorme GPS. The detail seems to be a bit better that the Garmin, based upon some side by side unscientific comparsons we have done in the filed over the years.

That said, I think the Delorme gps is a little harder to use than the Garmin units and the screen is smaller, but the sw is a more important tradeoff to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce p View Post
                        Roger, I have been using the Delorme topo sw for several years now and am quite happy with it. I have all of SoCal loaded onto a memory card in the back of my Delorme GPS. The detail seems to be a bit better that the Garmin, based upon some side by side unscientific comparsons we have done in the filed over the years.

That said, I think the Delorme gps is a little harder to use than the Garmin units and the screen is smaller, but the sw is a more important tradeoff to me.

Bruce, Thanks for the response. For now it will be in my lap top with a GPS receiver plugged in a usb port. I'm glad to read you like it.
                        MJR moderator
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68 View Post
                          Roger, I have garmins topo maps. If you have garmin I can place some maps on it..
                          I have the Garmin 750. Are the topo maps worth the money?
                          2005 Unlimited - 4.5 RE superflex - Rancho 9000's - 35 x 12.50 x 15 Geolanders - Riverside, Ca.

Comment

Working...
                          X