Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted to buy: Lowrance memory card reader

I have a Baja540c that i cannot use because I can't find a stupid proprietary memory card reader for the stupid proprietary mapping software.

I have cards that both the GPS and my computer can read, but because there are not serialized by the stupid proprietary memory card reader, the mapping software won't write to it, rendering my 540 useless.

I have tried to buy them from the LEI site, but my transactions never go through, and they don't answer their phone. Been trying to get one of these for a few months now, and it's getting tiresome.

Anyone got one they are willing to part with?

Thanks,

NW
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

We were doing some work with Lowrance with their fish radar finders. They were bought out by another company
    a while ago. They retained most of the engineers I was working with...keep trying...
    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
    WEB site

Comment

I have one...but I am not willing to part with it. Lowrance allows a limit of 5 different cards to be used with each card reader. If you want to supply a card I'll give you one of my limit of 5 off my reader. I am not too far away from you in La Habra, but I am leaving Wednesday for 2 weeks.

I have not found much information on the net about the Lowrance 540. This thread has helped me to use GPSBabel to convert .tpo files and .gpx files into .usr files and download the .usr files onto the memory card.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305976
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Wow. I knew about the 5 card limit (what a Crock!), but I never put 2 and 2 together in regards to buying or borrowing a used one. Your offer is very generous, but I'm going to keep looking for now, to see if I can actually buy one of these things.

TreadLightly Trainer
        HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/LOWRANCE-MAPCR...7288161&sr=1-1
          Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Good linke, but Man, that makes me mad. That's cheaper than I paid for just the software disk! But I don't really feel like buying the software again...

So I sucked it up today and waited 2 hours on hold with LEI, and ordered the damm thing over the phone.

I waited another 30 minutes for a software guy to confirm it was compatiable with Vista, who told me that it wasn't, but that there was a patch, and then walked me through it. Turns out, he was the head engineer there, and was full of useful info. Found out where the 5 card max limit came from. Seems that the entire contents of the mapping database will fit onto five 1GB memory cards, so they figured that's all you need. This includes Hawaii and Alaska!

In a week or so, I should have my card reader, and then the journey begins...

TreadLightly Trainer
            HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

I could use the patch for Vista

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                I could use the patch for Vista
                I'm on my iPhone at the moment, so can't cut and paste. But if you go to www.expeditionportal.com, and browse the GPS forum, you see a current topic from me where I wrote out the step by step patch process.

Let me know if it works :-)

TreadLightly Trainer
                HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Good info. I just ordered my new 540C and the MapCreate software and accessory kit. I was planning on selling my 480C weith all the attachments (software, card reader, etc. but wonder if the buyer can load maps on new cards. I think tha I have 3 loads left.

Comment

Originally posted by PCI
                    PCI is offering their Beginners Lowrance GPS Class on Tuesday October 14, 2008 at 6:30 p.m. The class is limited to 20 and will cover the following:

Setting up your GPS with optimal race settings.

Removing old data from your GPS

Loading data to your GPS

Saving data to a chip from your computer and from your GPS.

Making trails different colors

Adding waypoints, trails and icons

How to prerun your own race course and add to SCORE’s, BFG or PCI’s.

Helpful tips for race day

Helpful tips for prerunning

Troubleshooting and basic repairs/diagnosis.

During the seminar, GPS units will be provided so you get hands on experience with these features. After the above items are covered, we will have an open question and answer session to go over all of your ideas during the seminar.

It will be difficult to pack this much information into a two hour class, so there are items that will not be covered. We will not be covering any Garmin questions, converting files or Map Create software questions. I don’t mind answering these after the class if they are brief, but these questions will not pertain to most users and I don’t want to confuse anyone any more than they already are with information they will never need!

Depending on the response to this class, we may hold future classes about Garmin GPS units, Map Create Software, Ozi Explorer, Map Source software and more software details.

The class will be $20 per attendee and limited to the first 20 people. We will serve pizza and drinks and provide you with materials for the class to take home with you.

Please call Rhiannon at (562) 427-8177 x226 to reserve your seat

PCI Race Radios, Inc.
                    2888 Gundry Avenue
                    Signal Hill, California 90755
                    I have registered for the class

Comment

I'm unable to attend on that day, but I would love to learn from you if you can pass the info along....

TreadLightly Trainer
                      HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

PCI Race Radios, Inc. hosted a GREAT class.

Every minute of the two hours was packed with useful information and helpful tidbits on getting the most out of your 540c or 840c.

They had 12 units hooked up and the class got to follow along "hands on" every step that the instructor gave.

It will take me a couple of days to decipher my notes. PM me your email address if you want a copy of my notes.

Comment

Working...
                        X