Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin GPSMAP 478

Garmin GPSMAP® 478

I'm thinking of buying this unit. I like the features of this unit. The only thing I don't particularly like is the small screen. For that kind of money I would like to see if I can get some feedback.

My questions are, does anyone here have one of these. If so how do you like it? If you had it to do again, would you still buy it today? I you wouldn't buy it today, why not?

For those of you with other GPS units that want to chime in on the things they like or dislike about their's, go right ahead. It may pertain, you never know.

Thanks

I just realized I placed this in the wrong forum. I don't see a delete option. Can a moderator help me out?
    Last edited by cmjrfan8; 05-14-08, 09:53 AM. Reason: stoopid newbie error!
    2006 Rubicon Unlimited
    Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rock

Unless you own a boat and plan on using the GPSr on both land and water you will be paying a lot of money for features you will never use.

For land only GPSrs from Garmin I would recommend the Nuvi line.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I would recommend something with a little bit bigger screen. I was using a Garmin etrex and now have a Lowrance baja 540c, and I love the 5" screen.
      WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jkcrazyjim2 View Post
        I would recommend something with a little bit bigger screen. I was using a Garmin etrex and now have a Lowrance baja 540c, and I love the 5" screen.
        Can you download GPX in to those things? There nice.
        Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
          Unless you own a boat and plan on using the GPSr on both land and water you will be paying a lot of money for features you will never use.

For land only GPSrs from Garmin I would recommend the Nuvi line.
          I have a Nuvi 680 and LOVE it for the road. there are currently no maps for off-road yet in this line.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I have it's predecessor (378) and love it - but I also use it on my boat.
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
              Can you download GPX in to those things? There nice.
              As far as I know, you can only run the Map Create software from Lowrance. I could be wrong though, but pretty sure.
              WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!

Comment

I have the Lowerance Expedition and it has a lot of off-road dirt trails. You can't load .gpx files directly but you can use free converters to convert them to .USR files and then load them.
                OHV12V SBNFA OHV Volunteer

Comment

ihave the magellan triton works preety well , once you figure out all you can do with it , im still figuring ha ha ha if any one has any advice or words of wisdom dos or donts please let me know
                  :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Comment

Working...
                  X