Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS/Cell Phones

Okay all you GPS gurus, you know who you are! I have a question. The IRS has determined that personal use of a company owned cell phone is taxable as income.

So, where I work is thinking about giving us a stipend to purchase our own phones and cover the monthly charges.

So my question is what can you tell me about cell phone GPS technology? I know there are a number of phones that have navigation capabilities. My current Blackberry can give me a lat/log reading but it is not very efficient. I realize that a straight GPS hand held receiver is probably far advanced over what's available in a Cell phone with GPS capabilities, but since I have this opportunity.....

Thanks!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Well, it's a shame no one's posted a reply to this as of now.

First off, you need to ask yourself, exactly why do you need to know where you are...that is to say, your lat/long?

If you just want to be able to tell the AAA where your vehicle is stuck in the mud, your blackberry might just do the trick.

If, however, you plan on using GPS technology for hiking, geocaching, or similar pursuits, then you want to seriously consider a dedicated GPS unit, either installed in your vehicle, or handheld.

I hope that helps a little.

-- Joe Spy
    '05 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    off-road trailer

Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.

Comment

x2.....

Almost all mobile phones are GPS capable. Meaning, when you call for help, providing you get reception, your coord. are forwarded to the emergency people.
      I have the fancy pancy iphone, and the last time I plugged it in to my computer, the software updated. Now, through the Google map program, I can press an option that says, 'show current position'. Although it's not very accurate, it does scare me a bit, since I did not 'order' the extra GPS service. I believe it has something to do with triangulating the phones position through the antennas.

As it is, the public versions of GPS's are still not quite as accurate as the military, but are way more accurate than the phone versions.
      Get a phone that is capable, if you'd like, but seriously consider getting a dedicated one. I have the RB1 (Chrysler's in dash nav system from the 02 and up Sebrings and PT's...)in the dash of the TJ, and have a hand held for hiking/backup.

BTW, how is it poss. for the IRS to claim such an outrageous angle???
      David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
      I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

Okay Gents,

I'm a gaget guy! I like toys. I have my laptop set up for GPS with Delorme Maps and a GPS mouse. Lots of fun. I just thought if I'm going to buy a new phone, GPS would be a fun feature.

As far as the IRS goes, they get to make the rules.... I like the idea of no income tax but national sales tax.

Thanks for answering. I was wondering if I needed deodarant or something!
        MJR moderator
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Hey Roger!

Look into the I Phone I have a feeling you will like it!
          If I had the Cake I 'd get it! Hope to wheel with you soon!
          Best, Max7
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hey Max - thanks, I'll check it out!
            MJR moderator
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Gps phones

Check these out:

http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/...ps-navigation/

http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/...ion-on-iphone/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw1RfihsOqk

theres more out there.... do as much research as you can!
              Best, Max7
              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X