Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWR trouble...

So i keep tinkering with my CB, and have gone no where...

My SWR meter after being set still says its at 10, no matter how high or low i have the antenna tuned. Check with the cap on and off, tried 4 different places to ground it... my ground still may be bad and hopefully i can fix that tomorrow. but could it be anything else?

Let me know what you think...

Its just sitting at 10/set mark on the meter... mocking me...

I hate these things haha... haha
    02' TJ 4.0 5 speed, Atlas II transfer case, 4.5 RE, 33" BFG, Dana 44 Rear, Detroit front/rear

could be bad coax. A quick check would be to check continuity between the outer and inner parts of the coax. The sheath is ground, the center pin is the "positive." There should be no continuity between them. Even if there is no continuity, it might still be bad coax...RF can still find a way across, even when DC can't.

Comment

could be your antenna. i change mine and whola it is working. see if you can switch with a buddy or something
      Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Here is a good link:

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

Last edited by SAR Jeeper; 01-17-08, 09:56 AM. Reason: edited to add photo

Comment

SAR beat me to it. 10:1 is pretty much a straight short - and that's usually found in the antenna mount (lots of times by forgetting to put the nylon washer on, or putting it on incorrectly)

Tell me how you're grounding it..
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

It's kind of hard to explain, i'll take pictures in a little bit so you can get a better idea. should i go grab a mount? or fab something up?
            02' TJ 4.0 5 speed, Atlas II transfer case, 4.5 RE, 33" BFG, Dana 44 Rear, Detroit front/rear

Comment

Show us what you have now first.
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Matt2001tj Used To Own A Cb Shop

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                SAR beat me to it. 10:1 is pretty much a straight short - and that's usually found in the antenna mount (lots of times by forgetting to put the nylon washer on, or putting it on incorrectly)

Tell me how you're grounding it..
                first check your antenna mount to make sure it is set up properly (no shorts) and tight to the body or bumper or whatever "ground" source it is bolted to. If your coax is proper length and the connectors are soldered right with no shorts then the only thing left is the antenna. Being as how off roaders dont run power like I do your not going to blow an antenna and most just work better than others. Also, antenna placement if you want to talk any resonable distance is a major factor as well. It is best to mount it as close to the center of the vehicle (for omi directional pattern) and high so not to get reflection off of the body which will make for a bad SWR and just will not work as good. Dont use a magnetic mount for off road you will just break it before its over most likely. If your radio is set up right you should be able to talk a min. of 5 miles or more under the right conditions. I hope this helps clarify some myths and misconceptions if anyone has any questions make a post or PM me. The radio in my jeep will go 50 to 100 miles or under "DX" conditions will talk around the country and evan around the world.

Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 01-18-08, 05:17 AM. Reason: add text
                "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
                  I have it set up just like that picture, and my ground in the hex screw below the trunk door on the tub, and i took off the paint so its just bare steel... still super high...

Just went out bought a new mounting stud. tried everything everyone said. still rating between 10 and the set marker...

So I'm pretty much lost now... if i dont have to i dont want to buy a new coax or antenna. so does anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

Swr Meter

Originally posted by Troy591 View Post
                    I have it set up just like that picture, and my ground in the hex screw below the trunk door on the tub, and i took off the paint so its just bare steel... still super high...

Just went out bought a new mounting stud. tried everything everyone said. still rating between 10 and the set marker...

So I'm pretty much lost now... if i dont have to i dont want to buy a new coax or antenna. so does anyone else have any ideas?
                    If you are using a swr meter built into the radio try an external swr meter. If you are already doing that then check the patch cord between the radio and the meter for shorts as well as the coax itself....MATT
                    Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 01-18-08, 08:39 PM. Reason: add text
                    "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by matt2001tj View Post
                      The radio in my jeep will go 50 to 100 miles or under "DX" conditions will talk around the country and evan around the world.

LOL, thats pretty much how Matts cb is......sounds like hes god calling down to earth its so powerful

Comment

Troy give me a call and I will help you set it up sounds like it is still not grounded good.

Comment

what days are good for you?

Comment

what i dont get is, if you're supose to set the swr with the all the doors and everything closed, wont it change when you take the doors and top off? do you have to reset the swr when you take them off?

Comment

NO.. it will get better with everthing off.

Comment

Working...
                              X